When to change timing belt 2013 Ford Fiesta 1.6 DOHC?

When to change Timing Belt, Miles, Age?
2013 Ford Fiesta Hatch 5speed manual 1.6 DOHC. Owners manual says every 150,000 miles. Car is 8 years old this month. Bought brand new November 2013. Worried about the age. If I see no cracking is OK? Who makes the best belts?

You didn't say what mileage you're at. Usually timing belts are around 100K so maybe that car is easier on belts. Typically you want to go OEM for timing belt especially if it's an interference motor. At worst you can find the OEM supplier and buy the unbranded version for less. For instance, Honda owners will often buy the Aisin timing belt kit as it's OEM quality just without the honda stamp on it.

Reactions: JC1
Gates and Dayco are good belts to consider. As far as when to change it go by the owners manual. Personally I'll change mine at 100K regardless of condition.

You didn't say what mileage you're at. Usually timing belts are around 100K so maybe that car is easier on belts. Typically you want to go OEM for timing belt especially if it's an interference motor. At worst you can find the OEM supplier and buy the unbranded version for less. For instance, Honda owners will often buy the Aisin timing belt kit as it's OEM quality just without the honda stamp on it.
67648 miles

67648 miles
You are fine, at the 10 year mark maybe I'd consider a whole timing belt job even though you'd be well under 150K. There are several good belt manufacturers out there but its the pulleys, water pump, tensioners etc, that shouldn't be skimped on.

You are fine, at the 10 year mark maybe I'd consider a whole timing belt job even though you'd be well under 150K. There are several good belt manufacturers out there but its the pulleys, water pump, tensioners etc, that shouldn't be skimped on.
Tensioners. They go bad on timing chain engines, then the chain goes wonky. Can't remember how many times I've replaced timing chains on cars that were well under 100,000 miles.

Time is much more detrimental than miles.
I used to drive 50k a year, and replaced a timing belt on my Civic twice in two years. The one that came out after 100k miles looked brand new, like the day I received it in the mail, after only two years.

Can you remove one of the covers to inspect? My civic I changed the timing belt in 2010 (13 years old at 78k miles). Some people say to change after x amount of years. I think you can easily go 10 years unless you are hard on the car.

Depends on the weather the belt is exposed to. Just changed the original belt a few months ago on our 2005 Sienna. 16years, but only 53k miles on the van. We don’t see a lot of really hot weather and cold doesn’t seem To age the belt very much. The original belt that I took out looked like new.

I'd say 10 years easy. I replaced a 13yo timing belt on my samurai (only 5-10k miles) and I had to set it away to keep from getting it confused with the new one. It looked that good.

Back