When to change out your oil after running si-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a quick questions. How long should i go after running a fuel system cleaner (redline si1) before changing the oil. Im going on a road trip (1800 miles all highway) and was planning on dumping a bottle of redline si1 at the start of my road trip then at the end of it changing out the oil. I know most people suggest changing the oil right after you run any fuel system cleaner full tank of gas, im going to be filling up my tank at least 4 times on this trip. is it safe for the oil to run the fuel system cleaner for 3 more gas refills or should i run my redline si1 midway through my trip? Thanks

I see no reason to change the oil unless you happen to reach your normal OCI during or just after the end of the trip. I also see no reason to use two bottles of RedLine Si-1 fuel system cleaner during the trip unless you think that you're going to using bad fuel somewhere along the way. One bottle does all the necessary work.

I use the RedLine Fuel System cleaner about once a year on the first fill-up during a road trip (500 miles one way) down to Savannah, GA to see the family around the holidays. I alternate fill-ups between cut-rate (COSTCO) gas and Shell's newest nitrogen-blended fuel to keep the injectors as clean as possible during the year. Works for me, but YMMV.

Forgot to add this info in the original post: I use Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 oil so I only change oil about once a year.

Last edited:
I'd maybe dump it in halfway and then change oil when you return. Possibly better would be the maintenance dose for the first three tanks and then dump the bottle last.

This way you are getting cleaning action along the whole trip and then really do it hard the last tank, yet don't have hundreds of miles of use with solvency at the soft metals in your engine.

I think you can do it like JHZR2 stated. Or just do it like you had planned. BUT... Unless you have a seriously neglected fuel system, running 2 bottles of SI-1 in 1800 mi. is overkill. One full bottle at the end (500mi.) of your trip is fine. Then Change the oil.

If you do run both bottles: I have had a UOA and I used 2 SI-1 Bottles over 3100mi OCI and my UOA showed no extra wear, so I know it is pretty safe.

Have a safe trip! http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...371#Post2192371

Last edited:
no i never said i was going to use two bottles, im going to use one bottle at the start of the trip, then i was going to change the oil when i arrive to my destination after the 1800 miles. i like JHZR2 idea, i'll dump 3oz for the first 3 gas fills then open a new bottle and dump all of it in on the last gas fill then change out the oil when i arrive to my destination, going to change the oil to YB while im down there and use that while driving back home cause i will then change it out again in october for PP for the winter. im hoping this helps the engine out since the vehicle is used and we just got it about a week ago (has 39,500 miles on it) but it doesnt feel super slick and smooth, also has a nasty vibrating/lugging sound on low rpms ugh.

I wouldnt use a new bottle. the 3oz/fillup is good for slow maintenance and cleaning, and then you shock it at the end with the remainder, which should be a double or triple dose compared to the 3oz. This will allow some slow and then some harsher cleaning.

Another option would be a maintenance dose of MMO or something else, and then the ful bottle of redline the last tank before oil change.

My intent is purely to minimize the distance ran if you have solvents and additives in the oil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd maybe dump it in halfway and then change oil when you return. Possibly better would be the maintenance dose for the first three tanks and then dump the bottle last.

This way you are getting cleaning action along the whole trip and then really do it hard the last tank, yet don't have hundreds of miles of use with solvency at the soft metals in your engine.

This! ^^

For all good cleaners with PEA like SI-1, Techron, and Regane, I am wondering whether it would be better to use it on a long trip or for daily to-and-from work driving. Would the constant spray of PEA on the valves and combustion chamber clean better than if you were to get the engine hot from normal driving to work than let the PEA sit and soak on the carbon all day, or all night, than drive the car again to repeat the process.

Change your oil at the normal interval . The cleaner won't hurt anything. You can run "maintenance" doses with Redline and Amsoil cleaners . No voodoo tecniques needed just read the bottle for the dosing and don't put any nore thought into it.

Just change the oil as you normally would. I think the main "fear" in fuel additives and OCIs is 1) convenience, what better than STP to advertise their Silver fuel system cleaner "every 3k...." along side their oil....err.....never mind they don't make oil anymore :p lol.

2) the fear of "unburned fuel" and thus "solvents" getting into their oil.....BUT, if you are on a long highway trip, I can't see this being the case, particularly if you're on the highway, etc....cruising along, the car will be at operating temperature the whole time most likely, so I can't see this contamination being possible.....if it were to "leak past the rings" into your oil, I'd think it would burn up pretty quick never time around....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back