When to change oil if driven only 3-4K/yr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Nissan Altima 2.5L 4 cyl
Los Angeles -- temps vary from 40-110 degrees

I don't put a lot of miles on my car and only drive it maybe 3-5x a week, in mixed driving (mostly city-- this is LA, CA). I'm driving about 3-4K miles per year. I recently put in Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 (viscosity as per owner's manual).

How often should I change my oil? Is once a year sufficient, or should I do 2x/yr?

I would have thought this would be considered severe service and would change every 6 months.

I drive fairly short distances here per year virtually all suburban stop/ go and change every 5,000k (3,000m) or 6 monthly. Currently using Motul 300v.

[ June 19, 2004, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

With only 3-4k miles per year and synthetic oil once a year oil change is more than enough. That's what I do in my car (I also use M1). Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Every year sounds good to me.

When I was talking to Mobil's techs a while back about engines that were out of warranty, they were happy with annual changes from 5,000km (3000 miles) to 30,000km.

To me its not the low mileage per year but how that mileage what done. Short running and lots of idling beats up the oil and allows condensation, fuel and blowby to build up.

I have seen it suggested that at least changing the oil filter & topping up at 6 months is good idea, however its not a big step to do the full change.

I do have a car that does maybe 1,000km per year (maybe less) and I have changed the oil yearly, however it is not short driven.

Really only a UOA is going to give the best answer.

Once a year is fine or the maximum allowable time frame for regular service listed in the owners manual. You would be fine with just changing once a year, but you are within the warranty period.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8900 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 90800 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

[ June 19, 2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

To me its not the low mileage per year but how that mileage what done. Short running and lots of idling beats up the oil and allows condensation, fuel and blowby to build up.

I have seen it suggested that at least changing the oil filter & topping up at 6 months is good idea, however its not a big step to do the full change.

I do have a car that does maybe 1,000km per year (maybe less) and I have changed the oil yearly, however it is not short driven.

Really only a UOA is going to give the best answer.

We have a 1993 Lumina Sedan 3.1L V6 that my mother bought new. Been using synthetic oil in it since new and the oil has always been changed only once per year. Currently is has 62,400+ miles. Put most miles on in prior years and just keeping car for sentimental reasons and its still a great car. Not one problem with car, so yearly oil changes have had no affect and saved a lot of $$. Chances are it will be rusted out before 100,000 miles.

btw-Been using Amsoil in it since new, last years the XL7500.

This reminds me of my mother's 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora. She is 85 years old, and the car is driven under 1500 miles per year (It just went over the 11,200 mile mark!!). It is driven only once every two weeks or so, but at least 50 miles every outing.

We put Mobil 1 in it, and change it once per year.

I was planning on doing it 2x/year initially, but I guess I'll just do it once a year now. Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back