When to call quits on a mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mower below (one on right) is one in question built by Frigidaire, got it for free in 02 built 98. One of the rear wheels disintegrated last night so that in itself isn't bad, $20 or so. Problem is the front wheel drive control is broken ($20), needs a front wheel ($20 also). The 6.5HP Briggs starts on the third pull now but literally starts smoking when it gets hot and it's not out of the muffler although it does a tad bit of that. The throttle quit working 11 years ago and pretty much every other safety device, deck is cracking around the right side bar mount. Hate to throw things away but I'm starting to think it's time to junk. Thinking about replacing with a Honda HRS216PDA from what I'm reading shouldn't have to buy another, tired of cheap junk. Thoughts?

IMG_0373_zps359b5737.jpg

Honda mowers are awesome... I had a HRR216K9VKA for a while (sold it to a friend after my divorce) and it was great. First pull start every single time. And FYI it liked Rotella T5 10W-30 and PP 10W-30 about equally
wink.gif

Give the junker to a teenager (with their parents' consent and maybe some signed liability waivers) to tinker with and learn something about ICE. I would have loved to tear down a lawn mower engine when I was in high school.

Sounds like it's time to junk it. You can get a decent working used mower off Craigslist for 50 bucks, or a brand new one at Wally World for $150

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Time to go to sears and pick up one of the newer craftsman ones.

I'm starting to hate craftsman and anything from sears. May have to replace a 11 year old kenmore frig when we return from vacation.

You guys should have seen my old mower.

The deck was rusting out where the wheel axles went through and the wheel "rubber" was rubbing on the deck. I welded some huge washers in to shore it up and caught the grass inside the deck on fire in the process. The handles got floppy where their bolts went through the deck (I do "wheelies" all the time) so I just welded the handles as well.

The deadman died so I took out the brake shoe and wired the kill wire to a 49 cent leviton light switch. Since "on" kills it I mounted the switch upside down so it makes sense if you don't read it. Interlopers who borrow the machine get stymied by my security system.
lol.gif
I like a good clean cut like the next guy so the governor is tweaked for more RPM. The ungrounded spark plug connector shorted out when I mowed under wet shrubs so I wiggled an old elbow boot off a car's ignition wire and stuck that on there.

One time squirrels got in there and built a nest inside the blower cowl area. This pegged the throttle wide open. I didn't really notice it until I turned it off and it kept going from its overheating, it was dieseling. I yanked the spark plug wire off with a stick to be sure, it really was compression igniting. It eventually ran out of gas and ran fine after it cooled down and was cleaned out. Briggs 3.5 flathead of course.

Then I found a mower at the dump that was in better shape. I was going to only use it on hills due to oil starvation and running over "starchy stuff" (eg sticks) but it ran so good it was promoted into my primary machine.

The difference between hating lawn mowing and loving lawn mowing is the quality of equipment. after spending way too much cash on OPE this year i can't wait for the lawn to grow!

When your mower says "Made by Frigidaire" you know it's time to get a new one. Wow didn't know they made mowers.

About the same as our frig right now! It looks unanimous! I've got my monies worth.. more so since I got it for free. My grandparents are going to start looking at garage sales for now. In fact that's where this one came from, I think he paid $25 or so back in 2000. Going on a 2 week trip to cali and if they don't find one by then I'll get a Honda powered mower. I would get a cheapy from walmart but just once want something different, and defiantly something that'll last.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You guys should have seen my old mower.

The deck was rusting out where the wheel axles went through and the wheel "rubber" was rubbing on the deck. I welded some huge washers in to shore it up and caught the grass inside the deck on fire in the process. The handles got floppy where their bolts went through the deck (I do "wheelies" all the time) so I just welded the handles as well.

The deadman died so I took out the brake shoe and wired the kill wire to a 49 cent leviton light switch. Since "on" kills it I mounted the switch upside down so it makes sense if you don't read it. Interlopers who borrow the machine get stymied by my security system.
lol.gif
I like a good clean cut like the next guy so the governor is tweaked for more RPM. The ungrounded spark plug connector shorted out when I mowed under wet shrubs so I wiggled an old elbow boot off a car's ignition wire and stuck that on there.

One time squirrels got in there and built a nest inside the blower cowl area. This pegged the throttle wide open. I didn't really notice it until I turned it off and it kept going from its overheating, it was dieseling. I yanked the spark plug wire off with a stick to be sure, it really was compression igniting. It eventually ran out of gas and ran fine after it cooled down and was cleaned out. Briggs 3.5 flathead of course.

Then I found a mower at the dump that was in better shape. I was going to only use it on hills due to oil starvation and running over "starchy stuff" (eg sticks) but it ran so good it was promoted into my primary machine.

Had several mowers like that before this one. In fact they were running great and better shape than this one right now. I gave a 20" to my neighbors that they left out in the rain now runs terrible. I could get it running good easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back