When Power Stations Play up

Status
Not open for further replies.
half a ton of steam a second (2600psi, 1050F) would cook lots of them fast.

Looking for links on

Pleasant Prairie had a 280C feed main failure, that cooked 4 blokes leaving a lift.

Castle Peak (China ?) had a hydrogen explosion that killed 4 people.

Mihama (Japan) had a feed pipe failure.

South African turbine failure and fire.

Iranshahr -reported as a coupling failure, I reckon catastrophic overspeed.

Quote:
The investigation indicates that the pipe was actually manufactured by a Chinese pipe mill, then sold to another Chinese "pipe producer" who allegedly did some type of heat treatment to it then sold it to a third "pipe company" who polished the OD and sized the ends. (It was very clean and proper looking pipe.) The pipe was then shipped to a company in Houston, TX, called S.M.A.N.T, who then certified it as Made in the USA, and shipped it to the fabrication company who supplied it for installation on the Datong Power Station Unit 2 job.

How can this be certified as Made in the USA?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Quote:
The investigation indicates that the pipe was actually manufactured by a Chinese pipe mill, then sold to another Chinese "pipe producer" who allegedly did some type of heat treatment to it then sold it to a third "pipe company" who polished the OD and sized the ends. (It was very clean and proper looking pipe.) The pipe was then shipped to a company in Houston, TX, called S.M.A.N.T, who then certified it as Made in the USA, and shipped it to the fabrication company who supplied it for installation on the Datong Power Station Unit 2 job.

This is one of the problems with American regulations. You can have something made overseas and add a decal or a coat of paint and have it labeled "Made in USA".
If you want to have some interesting reading, check out the Northern Mariana (sp?) Islands. Textile products there can have the "Made in USA" label, but are not subject to minimum wage rules or other regulations.
Something isn't quite right there.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Quote:

More importantly if they said met some standard or specification, and it didn't, that is some very serious fraud.

I've read that report before (I think I even posted about it). I think I came across it in some GIDEP alert or counterfeit investigation for my other real job.

I thought from the original disclosure of this event ..that the pipe never actually came to the US. It was merely a paper shuffle for the US certifications. That's the impression I get from the recollection. That is, it was sold as a US origin pipe from a US certified pipe provider (not producer) but they never saw it. Only the documents were real. The rest was virtual.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I thought from the original disclosure of this event ..that the pipe never actually came to the US. It was merely a paper shuffle for the US certifications. That's the impression I get from the recollection. That is, it was sold as a US origin pipe from a US certified pipe provider (not producer) but they never saw it. Only the documents were real. The rest was virtual.

Did anyone go to jail in the end?

I don't think that there was an end at the time of the initial release.

For all we know a Chinese outfit opened a US certification false pipe provider here ..or got a resident alien working in a position at the legit firm ...or just outright bribed someone.

For example: mori could implant Skynet's back door in some computer system ..and move back to Germany at the first sign of trouble ..before any investigation evolves into indictments.

mori just wants to plant his foot somewhere. Luckily for you, he's grossed out by the thought.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've read that report before (I think I even posted about it). I think I came across it in some GIDEP alert or counterfeit investigation for my other real job.

I posted it during the melamine, lead paint etc. etc fiasco.

Was lucky enough to have a meeting with one of the investigators some months ago.

Wasn't seamed pipe (as it looked at the time), and I don't believe that it ever passed through the US.

Some of the new "super" alloys (like P91) are very problematic when they come from China and India.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
mori just wants to plant his foot somewhere. Luckily for you, he's grossed out by the thought.
LOL.gif

Yes. Happiness is pretty flowers - that smell bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back