When is the next API grade coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a curious question, do we have any idea when the next API catagroy (API SO? (maybe SP since the letter "O" looks like the number "0" in some fonts)).

It was late 2010 when the SN spec came out (same time as the HDEO CJ-4 spec, which was recently updated to a CK/FA-4), and a lot has changed since then. Small turbos are more and more common, and change intervals are increasing.

Quick review:
  • SD - 1967
  • SE - 1971
  • SF - 1979
  • SG - 1988
  • SH - 1993
  • SJ - 1996
  • SL - 2001
  • SM - 2004
  • SN - 2010
So not including SA-SC oils, 9 years is the longest (SF to SG) that they have gone without an update, average is just under 5 years, and we are going on 7 years now of SN.
There have been many other manufacturer specs that have come out since SN was released because API is not keeping up (Dexos, ACEA, BMW LL etc).

Not that it would really make a difference for me, I don't plan on having a vehicle that would require it for a long, long time, even if released this year, but I was just curious what (if any) status it had, and if any idea what the changes in it would be.

Isn't LPSI a direct injection issue? Seems I read about it here being a problem with early DI engines, but did not no it was related to the oil. Seems this is a big thing the Dexos gen II is supposed to address.

It is funny, I searched for and info on an update for the PCMO API spec and found nothing, but as soon as I posted this, my google-foo started working and found some info on it. Some stuff was saying it was supposed to be updated by the end of 2016, some says late 2017, but have seen (AMSOIL article on it) that it could be as late as 2019 till we see it.

So this is saying that these new 0w-16 oils are not API licensed yet?
Seems the GF-6 is what will "certify" these oils, and till then, no license in the US (I know they have been used in Japan for almost 20 years).

Ever since we went SM, heck even SL, I stopped picking which oil brand to buy. I can't even imagine what else to improve other than to address more usage of turbos by manufacturers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: razel
Ever since we went SM, heck even SL, I stopped picking which oil brand to buy. I can't even imagine what else to improve other than to address more usage of turbos by manufacturers.

Fuel Dilution
LSPI

Originally Posted By: wemay

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article003135279.cfm?x=b11,0,w

It's actually delayed again since this article. current estimates are sometime in 2019.

Originally Posted By: Lube Report July 5 2017
At the PCEOCP, much of the discussion covered new and legacy engine tests needed to support ILSAC GF-6. It was clear from the meeting that the earliest marketers could license these engine oils would be July 2019. There is no official timeline in place, as details around all tests are not finalized and stakeholders do not want to issue a revised timeline until they are more confident in their ability to confirm an “official” new date. However, this date considers the status of all the engine tests being developed, and accounts for the one-year “tech/demo” period for the additive companies to finalize their technology as well as the one-year mandatory waiting period once the specification is defined and limits are agreed on.

Incidentally Ron Romano (Ford) and chair of the ILSAC lubricant's working group issued a letter late last week asking the API to launch a GF-5+ interim category in January 2018 which would include the LSPI test destined for GF-6 along with the current GF-5 requirements and some additions to allow expanded use of 0W16 oils.
Automakers to API : Update GF-5 NOW

It will take several weeks for the API to respond, but if they do approve it, some of the pressure might be off for GF-6. (which would be called API SP). I'm told some of the Addco's already have products available in the market to address this kind of a mid-upgrade change.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
So this is saying that these new 0w-16 oils are not API licensed yet?
Seems the GF-6 is what will "certify" these oils, and till then, no license in the US (I know they have been used in Japan for almost 20 years).

0W16 Oils are licensable with API SN. However there are now Fuel Economy Improvement parameters for GF-5 in the Sequence VID test. This means that they can't be used by the Automakers to gain CAFE credits - and the EPA won't certify them until they are readily available (this took almost 8 years when 0W20 oils were launched).

The good news is if GF-5+ passes, there are provisions to address 0W16 oils, so that might speed up the adoption process.

Originally Posted By: Solarent

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article003135279.cfm?x=b11,0,w

It's actually delayed again since this article. current estimates are sometime in 2019.

Thanks Solarent. This thing gets pushed back on the grill more than thick cut pork chops.

Grilled pork chops are good though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
smile.gif

cheers3.gif
When done right? absolutely. But they are often overdone (dry).

smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Marinade of honey, cider vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes and some salt and black pepper: delicious and moist
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Marinade of honey, cider vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes and some salt and black pepper: delicious and moist
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back