When is enough, enough? Never, apparently. Mercury marine boasts it's new 7.6L V12 outboard.

Doesn’t Falconer still build a specialty V-12 for Marine applications?
I peeked into this, really cool engines, look to be very bespoke . Thanks for providing another rabbit hole for me to get sucked into.

If I had the money, my interest would be in a large houseboat with an unbelievable quiet powertrain arrangement. At any speed I want the loudest sound to be the breaking of the water on the bow. And I want that to be quiet.
I have a dream of refitting an older 'glass ~33'-40' cruiser w/ modern, moderate hp quiet diesels and puttering retirement away up and down the coast... Of course, I'd probably be doing so w/ only the dog while my Better Half meets me at nice hotels along the way, but I can live with that (y) :D

Seven marine has a marinized GM LFA outboard putting out 627hp.
7 Marine is kaput, Volvo bought it then shut it down shortly thereafter. They can be credited with topping the outboard horsepower wars though. Seems they may have shut it down prematurely. 7 Marine 627 HP was close to $100K, the big Merc is allegedly going to be around $70~$80K.

They can't be hiring. Who is buying? I thought the economy was in shambles.

Quite the opposite. Dealers have been scrambling for product to sell for months due to high demand. Covid 19 shut down the manufacturers and dealers were flat out of boats new or used. Many are just now getting inventory.

Some boats have too many engines. More power per engine is easier to package.
Am glad that I don't have a boat addiction.

Attachments

• toomanyengines2.jpg
    toomanyengines2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 78
  • toomanyengines.jpg
    toomanyengines.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 78
Those all the same engines? Different size powerheads, looks like slightly different vents.... Maybe some decal engineering? :D
They're identical. They are mounted at different heights due to the V hull, the middle ones must be lower due to the hull shape. On catamarans they are all at the same height. Boat shown is a Freeman 42LR.
1613409739630.png

Last edited:
They're identical. They are mounted at different heights due to the V hull, the middle ones must be lower due to the hull shape. On catamarans they are all at the same height. Boat shown is a Freeman 42LR.
View attachment 45526
That 42LR is a pretty neat platform. Still don't know where I stand on the Cat vs Monohull debate. Two too many engines, in my opinion. It's downright frugal when compared next to the 59 Tirranna.

That 42LR is a pretty neat platform. Still don't know where I stand on the Cat vs Monohull debate. Two too many engines, in my opinion. It's downright frugal when compared next to the 59 Tirranna.
There are several twin engine cats out there both smaller and larger than the 42 footer. In the ocean environment outboard cats are generally superior in my opinion.....up to a point. Some even have hydrofoils for more lift.

The 450R goes for $54k-$64k each. I mean, I make a comfortable living, but not that comfortable.
$60,000.00 x 4 makes me wish I was smart enough to afford theengines , a boat to put them on and the gas and upkeep.

For those who haven't been following the large outboard market, everything comes second to status. Many owners have no use for big boats and big power, but God forbid they be seen in anything under 40ft, with quad 350s. Well, since everyone loves big numbers, some companies have stepped up to satisfy your request, if you pocketbook is large enough. Seven marine has a marinized GM LFA outboard putting out 627hp. It's been dominating the hyper-outboard market for years. Mercury marine decided they wanted a slice of the pie, so they're countering with a naturally aspirated, 7.6L 600hp V12. This new power head will be mated to a two speed transmission, and counter rotating props. You can bet that there is plenty of headroom for horsepower in this rig, as future power figures are guaranteed to rise, once 600hp per screw is deemed "merely adequate".
Few things in life better than a horsepower war!
Seven Marine is no longer in production.

Boating is booming. Everything in short supply. But the number of boats being bought has not gone up over previous years. Basically people are buying more expensive boats.

Back