When I see an Uber commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great comedy movie!
I drive Uber+Lyft and I can say it does get funny in there at times. I feel like Ben Stiller in that scene sometimes!

Once, two guys on the way to a rock concert, eating pb sandwiches in the car and very high on marijuana, told me about their economic plan to save America: Just give every person in the U.S. 1 million dollars. That's it, all is fixed. (Trump, r u listening??)

Another time, weird but also very cool, I picked up a guy who had just flown 20 miles on a paraglider. Picked the nice dude up in a field where homes were being constructed (it was Sunday so bulldozers dormant!). He was an airline pilot who is very good at riding thermals on mountain ridges.

I met Harland Williams in person at a comedy club about 5 years ago, and greeted him by saying "Rocket Man!" and he liked that title. Comedy genius although not for everybody. He's got a random topic strange style. His look helps a lot.

Last edited:
Can you make allot of money doing that? I've always wondered what my insurance company would say if they found out I was using my car as a taxi. I figured the insurance companies would eventually crack down on this. Kind of like the E-cigarette was developed to get around smoking bans. Now everybody is banning both!

But the way I see it, if your paying out the nose for insurance, you have to pay on each individual car you own, despite the fact you cannot drive all of them at the same time. What you do with your car is your business.

Although I'm a busy guy, I've been tempted to sign up for this Uber. Around here most people own cars. It's not a big metropolitan area. Most of the time if you see a taxi, it's usually a little old lady probably going to get groceries.

The people who do not own cars, well they are usually the ones walking along side of the road and most look kind of sketchy.

I like Harland Williams.

TurboFiat124, the money in Uber-Lyft is awful. Around minimum wage really. Tax deductible miles, 55 cents per mile in IRS deductions for ride-miles only. They do cover your car insurance when a rider is in the car though.

It attracts a lot of foreign nationals (Africans and Arabs mostly) to be drivers, just like cab driving always has because its relatively dangerous and pay is low. I do it when I just feel like cruising around and meeting folks. Interesting people out there really, mostly nice. People open up to me and confess stuff like I was a bartender or therapist.

In some areas, Lyft will pay for a Hertz rental car for you if you give them at least 70 rides a week, which is kind of a lot for the casual driver like me.

Agreed, Harland has a zany style that works most of the time. Creative, off-the-wall humor not everyone gets.

The commercials make it out to be a real money maker. Like in that one commercial where they show $400 or something flashing on that guy's phone.
It might be a good temporary job if I ever get laid off. There is no way I could afford to haul people around in my van which get's 9/16 mpg. And if they saw me pulling up in my Trabant, they may not want to get in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back