when I get to first Oil change in 2013 Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to really change over to Amsoil but was worried because it is not API Certified or is it? Or about the warranty thing too. I'm pretty sure it is a no issue but was just wondering because the car is so new.

For every new car I have ever owned, I have changed the oil out at 1000 miles and then when the manufacturer recommends.

Yes, Amsoil is not API certified.

No API, no dexos. I understand that there are expenses to be paid, but credibility is also another thing.

as You can see I like Amsoil and would definitely like to keep using it too.
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
You can go 5000k before a change and Amsoil is just fine. My CR-V saw it at 4.9k and now has 184k on it.
Yeah my Uncles wife has a CRV and he even told me I would better off buying a Honda and he is a ford person too! LOL I think you pretty much solved my question, but I will wait and see what others will post though, just out of curiosity.

I would stick to oil that has the API certification, and follow the oil monitor for service.

Last edited:
Amsoil XL and OE are API certified. The signature line isnt. I use amsoil signature series even tho it isn't api certified. I'm not worried about that.
I would run it down on the olm to at least 25% to get the most out of it then change.

Last edited:
There is a UOA in that forum of someone who ran a new Fit on FF to 15% MM.
It looked really good.
Run the engine for as long as Honda recommends on the FF.
Honda has a strongly worded recommendation in the OM of my '12 Accord that the FF should be run for a normal interval.
I'd never done this before with a new car, but in this case I paid heed and ran the FF to 15% MM, 8700 miles.
There's really no need to use Amsoil.
If you want to pay a little more than Walmart prices for oil, there are some high moly, high VI oils available at reasonable prices at your local Toyota and Mazda stores. You could also shop both oils online, since some dealers offer deep discounts.
You could also register your car on the Pennzoil and Quaker State sites and get $20.00 MIRs on PP and QSUD and then use those oils in 0W-20 for the first couple of changes.
Lots of options out there, noe of which will fail to protect your engine.
This Fit will die of the tinworm long before its engine suffers from excessive wear regardless of the oil you use in it.

Originally Posted By: TDOHGL01
I would like to really change over to Amsoil but was worried because it is not API Certified or is it? Or about the warranty thing too. I'm pretty sure it is a no issue but was just wondering because the car is so new.

You've been on this site over a year. Yes Amsoil OE and XL lines of oil are API. Don't let the others talk you out of Amsoil. OE is great oil and priced really well.

it is a honda,
leave the factory fill in for till your OLM is at 50%.
if you want to know, pls use google to search for honda break in oil, factory fill yada yada.
I feed fit any synthetic on sale, the sump is huge, so you will benefit from Amsoil, not sure of your driving skills, but my previous honda's suffered from fuel dilution, so I could go the length when using syn.
I do a oil only change at 5 or 6 miles and then a oil and filter at 12k miles, fyi the olm still has 15% left most of the time.

This question comes up every week! 15% is service due soon and 5% is service due now. Honda wants you to wait until 5% before the first change. Whether you follow it or not it is your call. I waited until 5% for my Honda. My suggestion is to wait until 5% for the first change. And if you are paranoid, after the 1st change, do an extra one at 60% without resetting the MM to flush out the break in wear.

As for oil, Amsoil has lines with API certs. Mobil 1 or PP has equally great 0w-20 at a better price in 5 quart jugs.

Originally Posted By: stchman
For every new car I have ever owned, I have changed the oil out at 1000 miles and then when the manufacturer recommends.

Yes, Amsoil is not API certified.

No API, no dexos. I understand that there are expenses to be paid, but credibility is also another thing.

Gimme a break. The SSO is great oil regardless on whether or not Amsoil chooses to spend 6 figures getting a stamp.

OP. If you like Amsoil I suggest using the oe line and change it according to the oil life monitor.
The xl is a waste of money in that car unless you are going to extend the interval. The oe line is more than capable enough to run oem intervals. Once you are out of warranty and if you want to stick with Amsoil get a few used oil analysis done so you can fine tune the mileage vs tbn depletion and get your money's worth from the oil.
Personally I'd use whatever was on sale if I have to follow the oil life monitor. Any of today's API certified conventionals will go the distance unless this car is something special and requires something special. If that's the case I'd use the oem oil to cover my rear.
As far as the first oil change is concerned run it out to 5-10% on the monitor then drain it.
Some oem's are using something special for break in. I'd want to keep that in as long as possible.
What does your manual say? I'm sure there must be some mention of this somewhere in there.
Had you tried the search function you'd have seen this question asked and answered at least weekly. If by some chance your particular queries weren't addressed then ask the forum their thoughts.
Believe it or not this site if loaded with info. A bit of research would open up hundreds of threads at the very least,and I'm sure you'd find the answers you seek but I can't help but make the assumption that the owners manual covered this.
I wonder how many of us Internet experts have as much in R&D as any oem has?
I did test mos2 though,with 3000 miles before adding and 5000 miles after. Does that qualify as R&D?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: TDOHGL01

You've been on this site over a year. Yes Amsoil OE and XL lines of oil are API. Don't let the others talk you out of Amsoil. OE is great oil and priced really well.

You are right I know I will go with OE and XL until the warranty expires then go with Signature Series I should know better been here long enough LOL. I guess I'm just a bit on the crazy side because it is such a new car and have never had a new car before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back