when do you change pcv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a recommended change interval for a pcv? or is it safe to say that if the pcv is sitll "rattling" its still good to go?

in my case, i regularly take off my pcv every oci and clean it with solvent in and out and shake it. its still ratting good and when i poke into one side the spring action is still present. btw, i've been using this pcv for over 9 years already

Originally Posted By: John_K
I change annually, for a couple bucks it's definitely worth it in my book.

John
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Plus you can't test it properly by shaking it or sucking/blowing though it. Also only use an OEM for proper flow as some of the aftermarket ones can be way out of spec.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Plus you can't test it properly by shaking it or sucking/blowing though it. Also only use an OEM for proper flow as some of the aftermarket ones can be way out of spec.

We agree on this Stevie! You are correct - if there is anything that the aftermarket part is wrong for - its the PCV. OEM is a specific flow whereas aftermarket ones will have a range of flows to meet most models but not all. The part may fit and even look alike, but it isn't. My 87 Buick GN must have the AC Delco part...put in a purolator or whatever makes and instant oil leak. Even a the stealership you're not talking about a lot of money for the right part.

Yes we do.
grin2.gif

I bought a FRAM one for my Santa Fe and it started using oil. Went to the dealer and got an OEM and it stopped.

To the naked eye and ears it sounded/looked the same, but it wasn't!

grin2.gif

I clean mine once a year with some break cleaner and then follow up with a good penetrating fluid to coat the parts inside... Then I spray a bit of compressed air through it to get rid of the excess and put it back in.

I replace when I do the spark plugs every 2 years at 100K KM (lots of driving)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back