When do you board a flight?

Personally, I love air travel. As much of a pain it may be, I find every experience to be a thrill. Proof: I was once pulled aside by TSA for additional screening after my hand swab tested positive for who knows what. The entire time behind the curtain, I was cracking jokes and riffing with the staff.

Anyway, I frequent a travel forum and I constantly see people complaining about the boarding process. How the system is abused, how "elite status" continually means less when it comes to boarding order, etc. I'm far from a frequent flyer, however these complaints always puzzle me for one reason: why on earth would one voluntarily board an aircraft one SECOND sooner than necessary?

While the majority of my flying has my rear end firmly planted in a coach seat, I also regularly buy up to the front/comfort/economy+ seats offered so as to speed up my disembarking. Often times, those seats also include priority boarding which is something I NEVER utilize.

When I fly, you'll find me sitting at whatever bar is closest to my gate until T-10, at which point I meander over and join the last 2-3 passengers in line to board. Why anyone would choose to board at T-30 or earlier makes zero sense to me. Give me a comfortable stool a real drink, and a television over sitting at the gate twiddling my thumbs any day.

To make sure there is still room left for a carry-on in the overhead bin?

Duh, I meant to add that as an * to my query: I'm a light packer, and easily fit 4-5 days worth of clothes into luggage that's specifically designed to fit "personal item" dimensions. For those that need overhead space: consider just checking the bag. The time spent at baggage claim on the back end could be enjoyed in comfort at a restaurant beforehand.

I'm with you completely, but it depends on my carry ons. If i had them and was not in business class, Id try to get on early to avoid the hassle of finding space in the local overhead.

Things seem a bit better now, back when I was living in window seats in the mid 90's through 2010 or so, I swear I saw folks trying to stuff body bags or the contents of a small car in the overheads.

I always book an isle seat and carry a small carry-on bag that can go under the seat in front of me, so I'm in no rush to get into a situation where someone has to squeeze past me to get their window seat, while 80 other people brush their butts against me on their way by. My carry-on isn't an issue and my seat isn't going anywhere. The folks who are usually in a rush to get on the plane are the ones who bring aboard obnoxiously large carry-ons that they know they're going to have a problem finding a space for. More human selfishness at its finest.

I commute on JetBlue every week. I ride as far back as I can. Quite often, JB reserves the RH aft row for unaccompanied minors. If I sit in the back, I can often move to the completely empty row.

I'm also always among the last to board. JB tells you what time doors close, but sometimes when everyone is onboard, JB leaves early. So I'm never the last one...

To make sure there is still room left for a carry-on in the overhead bin?
This is the only reason why I board as soon as I can.
For those that need overhead space: consider just checking the bag. The time spent at baggage claim on the back end could be enjoyed in comfort at a restaurant beforehand.
I'm guessing you've never lost a bag or had them miss a connection with it. Also, time on the front end in line is an absolute time suck.

People board first for two reasons, one the luggage room in the overhead bins. Two, to get an oversized bag checked in last minute for free, and then still having time for the other bag in the bin. I would also say there are really three, there's that feeling that someone's gonna take your seat, and you'll either get booted or have to fight for it. If your in it first, usually possession is 90%.

People board first for two reasons, one the luggage room in the overhead bins. Two, to get an oversized bag checked in last minute for free, and then still having time for the other bag in the bin. I would also say there are really three, there's that feeling that someone's gonna take your seat, and you'll either get booted or have to fight for it. If your in it first, usually possession is 90%.
Not just those two/three reasons. I travel light and fly Southwest, where there are no reserved seats. The earlier you board, the better seat you get. Also, I hate airport terminals, too much noise and chaos. I'd much rather be in my seat at the front of the plane, ready to be the first one off and out of the airport.

For those that need overhead space: consider just checking the bag. The time spent at baggage claim on the back end could be enjoyed in comfort at a restaurant beforehand.
Aside from extra cost and wasted time, I'd rather not give the luggage crew an opportunity to mishandle/damage or lose my bag with my business suit in it.
Sitting at an overpriced airport restaurant doesn't seem too appealing either, but I do it sometimes if I need to eat.

The folks who are usually in a rush to get on the plane are the ones who bring aboard obnoxiously large carry-ons that they know they're going to have a problem finding a space for. More human selfishness at its finest.
This mentality is born in the airlines and their baggage fee schedule. They know if they abuse their passengers some will cough up more than the minimum fare to have an easier time of it.

I don't consider it selfish to bring a correct sized article on the plane if it's included in my ticket price, even if I'm last to board.

This mentality is born in the airlines and their baggage fee schedule. They know if they abuse their passengers some will cough up more than the minimum fare to have an easier time of it.

I don't consider it selfish to bring a correct sized article on the plane if it's included in my ticket price, even if I'm last to board.

I'm of the same mentality: I've obviously flown with more than just my "personal bag", and I've found that 99% of the time the GA's offering free gate checking due to "lack of OH space". I use this to my advantage, as I pack my personal bag with everything I may NEED and reserve my OH bag for extras. That way, should said bag become lost or delayed, it doesn't present an issue and my vacation carries on as normal.

I try to be the last one to board also, but my favourite part of flying is on arrival when the plane stops. As soon as the engines stop and the seatbelt sign goes out, everyone jumps up! On my last flight to Florida, a lady the with the body shape of a bowling pin, was with her family and she was practically on top of me while I sat and waited for people to even start moving. I was so annoyed with her being in my personal space, I got up and said "Where are you going? Are we not all going to the same place? , loudly in front of everyone. Guess where I bumped into her, her husband and kids again? The luggage carousel, idiots.

Board after the airplane door is closed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Then argue with the gate agent why they need to open the door again.

I try to be the last one to board also, but my favourite part of flying is on arrival when the plane stops. As soon as the engines stop and the seatbelt sign goes out, everyone jumps up! On my last flight to Florida, a lady the with the body shape of a bowling pin, was with her family and she was practically on top of me while I sat and waited for people to even start moving. I was so annoyed with her being in my personal space, I got up and said "Where are you going? Are we not all going to the same place? , loudly in front of everyone. Guess where I bumped into her, her husband and kids again? The luggage carousel, idiots.

This is exactly why I pay up to sit as close to the front as possible. While I can't afford first class, I CAN afford whatever product that XYZ airlines offers that gets me close. I couldn't care less when I board, as long as I spend the least amount of time on board upon arrival at my destination.

Back