When did the price of brass go up so high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
51mUdgqD6LL._SX342_.jpg

I was in the hardware store tonight and 3/4'' brass pipe caps were priced at $7.19 EACH.
shocked2.gif

I remember when I was a kid they were about 50 cents each and Made In USA !

IMO...World demand....in China.....for all metals has driven Nickle, Copper, brass, Iron and even Lead through the roof. This has been going on for the last 10 years. Manufacturing of products that require metals has forced the price to increase. IMO...If you buy a fishing reel today, that is a new "top of the line product", you will get a reel with graphite, plastic and other substitute for gears....etc at a high price. Now, if you want a quality fishing reel, your best bet is to buy a couple of old Vintage Penn Reels off of eBay and cannibalize one of the reels for parts. That way you still have brass, stainless steel, copper etc in your reel and not plastic or reinforced graphite.

The same with "Double Edge Razors"....go to flea bay and get a few Vintage Gillette razors. They clean up nice and will outlast your lifetime...with proper care. Or else you can stick with the expensive, plastic razors for a subpar shave.

nah, this is a supply and demand thing.

People don't regularly go buy brass cap anymore at hardware stores, so that's inventory that just sits there forever.
People who need 1 brass cap right now as their house is broken and wife is screaming at him to finish his DIY project will still buy it at whatever reasonable price; and don't shop around. So this isn't an item that you need to price compete on.

If you were in job that required a steady supply of brass cap, you'd get it from some other supply in bulk and get the appropriate pricing.

I bet if you search for a 100 box of brass caps, it won't be 100x$7. it'll be around $1 each or so. Or buy from amazon/internet and you can see more realistic pricing.

It is the same as you just walk into a autoparts store and say you need 1 quart of Mobil1 as you need to top off. They'll say here you go it's $11.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
51mUdgqD6LL._SX342_.jpg

I was in the hardware store tonight and 3/4'' brass pipe caps were priced at $7.19 EACH.
shocked2.gif

I remember when I was a kid they were about 50 cents each and Made In USA !

The world took a turn about 20+ years ago,,it was called NAFTA and we lost our country.....................just saying.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

The world took a turn about 20+ years ago,,it was called NAFTA and we lost our country.....................just saying.

If this were hecho en mexico, I'd agree. But this is likely cast in China.

Brass/bronze has copper in it. Copper has high demand, and it's value has generally risen along with Au and Ag. Also how much markup is there for the convenience of local shopping vs online or HD?

Another aspect may be overall demand. It strikes me that most connections are made with copper or engineering plastics, not cast iron/brass. So how does that play into it??

Price manipulation by Bloomberg and his rich financial criminal buddies with easy access to Fed money to increase the price of ammunition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back