When did synthetic blends first appear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its fairly well known and discussed here that full synthetic oils appeared in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

I'm wondering when the first commercial blends of synthetic and conventional oil appeared, and who made them...any one have any information on this?

the earlier I remember them is in the first of the eighty's. I know Amsoil had them than "Para-synthetic" is what they called their's

Mystik Dimension back in the early 80s,or late 70s,,,rather a good oil of its time,belive it was a blend of G-1&2 bases with some esters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

Schaeffer's and Castrol I believe were one of a number of companies to offer Blends, since adding PAO lowered the pour points and extended high temp operation.

I copy pasted this from some site, dont remember which.

C. Friedler and J.M. Crafts synthesize the first "synthetic" hydrocarbons.

Friedrich Bergius in Germany develops Hydrogenation process for production of synthetic oil from coal dust

Friedrich Bergius in Germany develops commercial process for hydrogenation of coal to synthetic oil

In Germany Franz Fisher and Hans Tropsch develop Synthetic Oil industrial production process

I.G. Farben acquired the patent rights to the Bergius hydrogenation process for production of synthetic oil from coal

I.G. Farben's Leuna works start synthetic oil production

Standard Oil of Indiana makes the first attempt at commercial development of synthetic hydrocarbons

Many gallons of synthetic oil were made by polymerization of different olefins.

1930-34

Union Carbide and Carbon Corp develop and investigate the applications of water soluble Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG)

Nobel Prize for Chemistry:
Friedrich Bergius & Carl Bosch

Invention and development of chemical high pressure methods (used for synthetic oil production)

I.G. Farben investment into synthetic fuels production from coal

Adolf Hitler in Germany starts Major synthetic fuels and oil program

First Polyalphaolefins were synthesized

Fischer-Tropsh process that used carbon monoxide and hydrogen to make synthetic oils and fuels was commercialized in Germany

1942-45

PAG synthetic oils used in fleets and commercial vehicles

1944-1954

10% of German supply of lubricating oil is "synthetic", made by using three different processes

US Army aircraft operating in Alaska and Canada use PAG engine oils

1944-45

The idea of using colloidal solids in synthetic fluids for lubrication of the first jet engines is tested and researched in Germany

National Carbide Company, Inc. markets the "First" commercial PAG engine oils

Prestone Motor Oil

New York Power & Light Corp uses PAG engine oils in variety of their commercial vehicles.

1942-1955

Diester oils are used in turbine engines because Petroleum oil simply was inadequate to meet the demands of these engines.

Texaco produces Synthetic Aircraft Turbine Oil

1962-66

U.S. Army experiences significant problems in operating vehicles and equipment in Alaska with
MIL-L-10295 Lubricating Oil.

Mobil introduces fully synthetic grease

First Syn! Synthetic Super Lubricants produced in Canada

Motul introduces first semi-synthetic motor oil in France

U.S. Army develops MIL-L-46167 specification, which can be satisfied only with PAO synthetic oil

SynLube Company is formed in Vancouver, B.C. Canada – it’s specialty the first "syn-sol".

1970’s

Arab Oil embargo prompts interest in "synthetic" oils

Motul in France introduces first all-synthetic oil in Europe

AMSOIL is formed and markets re-labeled MIL specification oils to motoring public through multi-level "pyramid" type organization.

Mobil test markets Mobil 1 synthetic SAE 5W-20 "synthesized engine lubricant"

Mobil 1 goes national in USA and changes the product description to "synthetic" motor oil

Mobil introduces second generation synthetic motor oil Mobil 1 available as SAE 5W-30 and 15W-50

Amsoil re-labled MIL spec oil? I was under the impression that they created their first oil from scratch. The oil was tested in Al's friend or an employees vehicle.
In fact they were not MLM until later on in the seventies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back