When did MMO replace Auto RX as "The Bomb"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda funny, but last year every post was Auto Rx, now MMO
21.gif

A serious question though Would you risk cutting 5w-20 with 20% MMO?

That is a good question - my Honda uses 5W20. I am contemplating using mmo next time - wondering if I should use a thicker oil with 20% mmo?

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Kinda funny, but last year every post was Auto Rx, now MMO
21.gif

Because of the price.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
...Would you risk cutting 5w-20 with 20% MMO?
Probably. In my opinion it would be okay to do this when the next oil and oil filter change are less than 500 miles away. Now see what others suggest...

I only use MMO to store engines. Pennzoil Platinum will keep any engine clean and will clean up some that are not too dirty. For a sludged engine I would use AutoRX.

Originally Posted By: sr17
That is a good question - my Honda uses 5W20. I am contemplating using mmo next time - wondering if I should use a thicker oil with 20% mmo?

If you use PP 5w20 no need for MMO.

Quote:
Because of the price[?].

The price of esters has risen since its introduction to the automotive market.

Since MMO is mostly low cost naphthenic solvents, it's prce would undercut a specialty product such as Auto-RX by a margin.

I would recommned against adding 20% MMO to an XW20.

Last edited:
Another factor may be that the auto-rx vendor was a site sponsor, so auto-rx got the limelight here. When he quit being a BITOG site sponsor, more talk of other products bloomed in the Oil Additives section.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Another factor may be that the auto-rx vendor was a site sponsor, so auto-rx got the limelight here. When he quit being a BITOG site sponsor, more talk of other products bloomed in the Oil Additives section.

Ding ding ding! Most of the Auto-RX posts you saw over and over were from Frank, the inventor. Or if anybody asked "will A-RX fix this?" Frank would of course say yes from anything to a flat tire to a runny nose...

Furthermore people stopped getting banned for recommending other products or saying what they really think about A-RX. Some of the long time members here will know exactly what I'm talking about.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: sr17

You can run a pint for a full OCI with 5W20 especially during a Canadian winter if the engine really needs cleaning. Otherwise for people who want to try the product but are a little uncomfortable using it, try this. Add a pint about 1000 miles before your plan on changing the oil. You can do this from time to time and clean things up, especially in an engine that is fairly clean to begin with. A severely sludged up engine should run a full qt for about 3000 miles.

Go through the oil additive section, in the last few months a lot of people have been posting about MMO, even die hard users of other engine cleaning products. See for yourself why MMO has been gaining popularity. It's inexpensive and it works.

SecondMonkey

No one stopped anyone from posting about another product. Sure Frank could be overbearing and protective of his product, but what would you expect?

Most who talked trash about AutoRX never even used the product which is ridiculous IMO. Some were put off by the price. Some by Frank. Very few by it not working.

If you have been around awhile you have seen a decrease in posts by people in the know about many products including AutoRx. This is not an accident.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
SecondMonkey

No one stopped anyone from posting about another product. Sure Frank could be overbearing and protective of his product, but what would you expect?

Ah, you must not have noticed what was happening behind the scenes. People got banned, over cash and product testimony, others were paid for their testimony, I'll leave it at that.

Not saying A-RX doesn't work. I've bought a few bottles myself. Fantastic in the right circumstances, but it's not the miracle product many were brain washed into believing.

It's kind of like the acetone craze a few years ago. Every other post here was about adding acetone to your gas and so many people KNEW it increased their mileage by 1000%. It has since been proven mostly false and nobody talks about it anymore...

PS - I'm being vague on purpose.
56.gif

I was told by MMO that if you are worried about losing viscosity that you could use a 10w30 and by using a quart of MMO you would effectively have a 5w20.

Yes probably when he quit being a sponsor.

But MMO is also way cheaper and easy to get at about any store.

Another forum I used to frequent (but no longer do) had a similar situation with Sea-foam. It was hyped so much it was ridiculous.

Sea-foam was balancing the Federal deficit, generating world peace, and curing cancer (in its spare time).

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Your opinion, and your entitled to it, but others think differently. Oh and RX is very cheap.

well then send me a free bottle and make me a believer!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Another forum I used to frequent (but no longer do) had a similar situation with Sea-foam. It was hyped so much it was ridiculous.

Sea-foam was balancing the Federal deficit, generating world peace, and curing cancer (in its spare time).

Don't forget, it also solved the global warming problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back