when did japanese go to low silicate antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota's low silicate formula is a red color and a pink color depending on country of origin. I am not aware of them haveing any "green" long life! They made the switch about the same time they started useing aluminum radiators. I do not recall the year but I think it was somtime between 1992 and 1994. If you look in the back of your owners manual it should spec out the fluids!

Wow!!! I am baseing my educated guess on trucks I have owned. Looks like the cars went to this sooner. 1988 I had no idea any one had a long life coolant that far back!! WOW!!

My 1979 Toyota Pickup (brass Core Radiator, Aluminum head, Iron Block) came new with red antifreeze. This was a no silicate formula but I don't think it was an OAT formula. The newer Pink antifreeze is a no silicate OAT formula. I have been using Prestone LongLife in the Toyota with superb results. The radiator in the Toyota is mounted with rubber (insulating) washers. This to prevent the radiator from becoming a battery and promoting electrolytic corrosion.
The OEM radiator did give out at about 150,000 miles about 20 years and the truck is on it's 3rd water pump.

My mother's 1978 Toyota Corolla 1200 had the red antifreeze from the factory. I was in my teens when she bought the car new, but I remember this clearly, primarily because I did much of the maintenance on that car. Can't recall whether her 1982 Celica had the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back