When did GM start putting Dexcool in their cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically Cadillac? I am trying to find out if the 94 Deville came with it from the factory?

The water pump was replaced and I need to replace the radiator. I want to know if the green coolant is OK to leave in the system?

Answering your thread question:
When they figured they didn't have enough problems with their vehicles bringing customers back to dealerships.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

I think the higher end cars like the Caddy's came out with it first, and then it was added to the rest of the line in later years...

As long as all the Dex-Cool stuff is gone you can run the Green stuff safely. I would completely flush / fill the system with water a few times to ensure its all gone and then fill with Glycol/Water at a 50/50 mix. You could even fill the entire system with water, take it for a short drive like 20-30 miles and then drain out the water and replace with the 50/50 mix.

Run this first 50/50 mix for a shorter than normal interval and then you can proceed to run the normal glycol interval of 50K KM or 2 years (average).

IMO the Glycol and water mix is much better than Dex-cool and you will sleep easy at night.

If you drain/refill the radiator with 50/50 mix each year to two years just before the winter you will always have fresh coolant and will never have to flush and will never have to worry about sludge in your system.

As I remember, GM switched all their vehicles over to Dex-Cool starting with the 1996 models. Your '94 Caddy came from the factory with the green coolant so it's okay to leave it in the system.

Yes it has the green in it. I will check the strength and if it's good just leave it. It's fresh from when the water pump was done.

I thought it had Dexcool in it before the green, but I am sure I am mistaken.......

Thanks guys

My 1995 K1500 came factory filled with Dexcool. It also has a note in the owners manual about tablets that are dropped into the radiator to help prevent leaks. I have 170000 mile with two Dexcool flushes, original intake and head gaskets, no tablets added by me, original radiator minus one tank that cracked around the oil cooler fitting, back around 98 or 99. Don't bash me to much but it also has the original radiator hoses and heater hoses. BTY no sludge either!

You're a lucky man.

BTW- my wife's car has over 200k (ran Dexcool for the first 159k miles), and has the original radiator hoses. They aren't hard, nor are they squishy, cracked, or leaky- so I've seen no reason to change them.

Originally Posted By: daman
Yup most GM's switched in 1996

Working on a 95 GMC Safari, did they come with Dex?

The guy at the parts store said a rule of thumb is if the radiator tank is plastic the vehicle takes Dexcool?

But the Cadillac I am working on is a 94 and it has plastic tanks and you guys are saying it did not come with it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

The guy at the parts store said a rule of thumb is if the radiator tank is plastic the vehicle takes Dexcool?

Not necessarily. Some Saturns took Dexcool and some took Mr. Green antifreeze and all their cars had plastic overflow tanks...

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Originally Posted By: daman
Yup most GM's switched in 1996

Working on a 95 GMC Safari, did they come with Dex?

But the Cadillac I am working on is a 94 and it has plastic tanks and you guys are saying it did not come with it?
My '93 GMC has the original plastic tank radiator, came w/ & still has green, but will soon be GO-5 (when I get a "round tuit").

Most of the early dexcool cars came with a pink dot on the label of the plastic surge tank caps, or an underhood label yakking about the special coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back