When did 5w-x come on the scene??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught this from another post:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006361

quote:

OK just for fun I thought I would add an old one here.I still have my owners manual from my 1968 Chevrolet Camaro Rally Sport 327/275 HP.
-------------------------------------------------

" Use only " First Line " oils witch,according to the lable on the can, are (1) intended for service MS , and (2) pass car makers tests ( including General Motors Standard GM 6041-M).... "

Note : " Non - Detergent and other low quality oils are specifically not recommended"......

-------------------------------------------------
Anticipated temps............. Viscosity number

Above freezing (+32 F ).... SAE 20W, SAE 10W-30

Between 0F and + 32F ...... SAE 10W, SAE 10W-30

Below 0 F ................. SAE 5W,..SAE 5W-20

NOTE : When changing oil consider the anticipated
temperatures for the next 4 months.

* SAE 5W and 5W-20 oils are not recommended for sustained high speed driving.

* SAE 30 and SAE 20W-40 oils may be used at temps above 90 F.

* SAE 5W-30 oils may be used at temps below 32F.

* SAE 10W-40 oils may be used at temps between 0F and 90 F.
--------------------------------------------------
The world was different 36 years ago.

But does anyone remember a 5w-anything back in 1968?? For that matter in 1978 (the ONLY exception being Mobil 1 5w-20 its debut weight)???

I gas jockeyed in 3 stations during the 70s and two parts stores and never saw a 5w anything in a multivisc. I saw only one instance of a 20w-40 (Arco fleet) but that was never sold at a retail center. Single weights were available (at times by special order) from 5 - 50 (QuakerState).

Any "mature" readers here?? Perhaps mature members from the "frozen north"??
grin.gif

I grew up in Buffalo, NY, and I do remember seeing the 5w and I believe 5w-20 on the shelves in the winter, but the cans (yes it came in cans back then), had very strict warnings not to use it for any type of sustained highway driving. The cans always seemed to just collect dust on the shelves, probably because most people were scared off by the warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back