when can I go for it ??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a 2009 Honda Crv Exl two months ago. I have been avoiding the highway like the plague. Honda manual says to take it easy on the engine for the first 600 miles. I am going to hit 1,000 miles in the next couple of days. question is when can I get back to using the highway to go to work as I used to ? let's hear the opinions for the Bitog members here. thanks

Highway generally isnt/wasnt ever the issue. It was more the hard acceleration, cruising at constant speed, and high-RPM conditions that should be avoided.

Youll always hear different things, but generally 1/2-3/4 throttle is max, similar in terms of RPM or speed, and no constant speed is the set of specs used.

I don't know why you avoided the highway. I guess "take it easy" means different things to different people. They didn't mean not to operate the engine at highway speeds. They meant that you shouldn't be drag-racing cops or climbing mountain passes at full throttle.

Since you've achieved 1000 miles, go ahead and dump the factory fill and put in some good-quality dino or synthetic oil, and drive it like you want to. I'm sure the next post from someone else will warn you against dumping the factory fill early, so I don't even know why I bothered saying it...but it won't hurt anything. I've been doing it for years, to my Hondas and the rest, and I've never had an oil burner or an engine failure from it.

Honda engines are some of the best out there, you're not going to hurt it...especially now. It's actually too bad you've babied it to this extent, because it's actually better to work your way up the tach as you put on miles. You could've driven it on the highway straight off the dealership floor.

My $.02

You don't have to 'avoid the highway during break in'....you have to try to avoid hours of cruising at the exact same speed.

Varying your engine speed/load often during break-in is important. Doing some highway driving is part of this.

Just get out and enjoy your car and drive it as you usually would! That's what you bouight it for, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Highway generally isnt/wasnt ever the issue. It was more the hard acceleration, cruising at constant speed, and high-RPM conditions that should be avoided.

Youll always hear different things, but generally 1/2-3/4 throttle is max, similar in terms of RPM or speed, and no constant speed is the set of specs used.

I hear what you are saying and it makes total sense. was worried about getting on the highway as I would more than likely have to gun it with the oncoming traffic ( very short onramp ) also like you said the steady rpms is not a good thing and I like to keep a steady speed on the highway.know I would would hate to be behind somebody varying the rpms and speed so much not to keep up with or create an unsafe traffic flow. the roads I have been taking, I can vary the rpms as much as I like and not slow anybody down or cause any accidents. I feel like the engine has gotten a nice dose across the rpm range other than the higher band. have gotten it up to 60mph on the roads that I take for brief periods. just did not want to have the motor lugging on the highway.

Last edited:
One way to look at it: If your engine can't handle "gunning it" at 500 miles, it will never handle gunning it. I will never go easy on an engine for break in again. There really is nothing mystical than happens after the first few miles on modern factory automobile engines.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
One way to look at it: If your engine can't handle "gunning it" at 500 miles, it will never handle gunning it. I will never go easy on an engine for break in again. There really is nothing mystical than happens after the first few miles on modern factory automobile engines.

You have a good point there. Honda wants you to avoid the higher revs for the 1st 600 miles. I did not use the highway as I wanted to avoid lugging the motor too much. I had no intention to baby it and have been getting a steady diet of hills in my travels going though the rpm band without cruising in the lower rpm range. guess my original question should have been, when will it be ok to get up to cruising speed and keep it in the sweetspot rpm range , say like on a longer trip. the first 1,000 miles have been driven like I would drive the car normally, just avoiding high rpms and avoiding lugging the motor. sorry if the question was vague or it sounds like I have been babying this thing and doing like 10 mph or coasting all the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
highway is easy driving.

exactly, you hit the nail on the head. I was trying to avoid too much of an easy break in on the motor because of too much highway driving. everybody says keep a load on the motor.I have been keeping a load on it varying the rpms in my travels so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: matrass
guess my original question should have been, when will it be ok to get up to cruising speed and keep it in the sweetspot rpm range , say like on a longer trip.

Anytime now
thumbsup2.gif

That car was already run to redline and such...at the factory during it's testing. Not to mention what the dealer boys do.

It isn't just the engine that breaks in, but the drivetrain, trans, brakes, etc..
Concerning the engine alone, you can start using full throttle now here and there and it will actually help seat things right. Highway miles are easy on engines, when just cruising.

Well got my ride on the highway a couple of days ago. have to admit it really wanted to go LOL ! was pleasantly surprised how little I could step on the gas and be at 65-70 mph. so far I have been very pleased with our first Honda.

Why is everyone advising the OP to change the oil early? I thought Hondas had a special factory fill, or used a high-moly assembly grease, and that the first oil change was at about 7500 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back