Wheel hub/bearing replaced, now ABS triggers at low speeds?

I recently had my driver’s side front wheel bearing/hub assembly replaced on my Sedona. All is smooth and quiet now, but now almost every time I come to a slow rolling stop, at about 10 mph down to 5 the ABS kicks in. I’ve read about people having this happen when only one bearing is replaced, since the magnetic race it has might be slightly different than the others on the vehicle, therefore it generates a different magnetic field than the other three wheels and the system senses a slip. It’s a Timken unit. There is no ABS light on. The tone rings on all four corners looks fine, and as a test I removed and cleaned all four ABS sensors for consistency. No change.

FYI, this vehicle has ABS sensors that mount in the knuckle (not integrated into the hub), and they are original and were working fine up until this point. None show any signs of damage.

The part installed was an assembled unit, so NO the bearing was not pressed in backwards, YES it has a magnetic race (vehicle was not sold without ABS).

Is there any way to fix this, short of replacing the hub on the opposite side? I could play around with adding a spacer or washer to the ABS sensor on the wheel with the new hub.

99% of bolt on hub units come from china and get reboxed constantly. find the cheapest or buy a good used part.

does the reluctor ring look identical?

My ABS on my avalanche was kicking in at low speeds, before my bearing hub was noticeably bad, about 5k later is was loose and making noise. I'm betting the other hub is on its way out. Rust and metal inside the hub can stick to the sensor, making it not read the reluctor.

99% of bolt on hub units come from china and get reboxed constantly. find the cheapest or buy a good used part.

does the reluctor ring look identical?
The cheap ones last maybe 1/3rd as long. Used may already have most of its life gone by the time that generation of vehicles (the one you have) needs new ones.

As boom10ful stated, use a scan tool to see sensed wheel speeds in realtime, though I'd wonder if the sensor wire on the corner with the replaced hub was damaged during the replacement. If it gets old and brittle, moving around more than its usual range of motion could be enough.

It could be that the other hub is worn out too, would make sense given same vehicle so same amount of wear, but does seem a little too coincidental if it happened immediately after replacing the hub.

What is this magnetic race you're talking about? Doesn't it have the tone ring on the cv axle, so the hub doesn't play a part in it, just needs to have correct sensor placement if you had removed and reinstalled it? If it is not aligned and/or a further distance away than the other side, do see if there's any adjustment possible. I wouldn't think there was so I'm back to suspecting damaged wire, could have an internal fray that isn't obvious to the eye.

I'm not sure this will help or not, first thing I would try is unhooking the battery for at least 10 minutes to clear any "adaptations". Also I would double check the tire air pressures on all four corners during this time.

Back