Wheel bearing grease in your hand gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a mixture of Super Lube grease and Amsoil Heavy Duty moly grease. While not exactly wheel bearing grease, it works very, very well.

I've mixed up some VSOT (moly) with Cam-Shield (ZDDP) myself... Works great!

Guns clean up easily after use, too.

"All lubes are made in the same place"
smirk2.gif
He doesn't know much about lube.

He is recommending using grease on an AR as well?

I think wheel bearing grease is too thick for guns. Get some engine assembly lube if you want to use auto use grease.

The Jardine extreme grease is the best I have used for guns.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Get some engine assembly lube if you want to use auto use grease.

+1

I put a light smear of Mr. Moly assembly lube on the slide rails, locking lugs and barrel bushing of my semi-autos. It's a 40% moly paste, works great for these high shear load points.

I'll stick to gun specific lubes for my expensive firearms. Why chance it?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

+1

Gun lubes are made for guns. Whats the issue?????????

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Many gun lubes are in fact not made for guns.

Explain that one, please.

Many if not most gun oils are re-branded industrial oils like penetrating oil or hydraulic oil.

I can believe that, and in that case I can see why some folks look for alternative lubes.

Because, anything Rem-Oil (w/Teflon) can do, I can do better...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Many gun lubes are in fact not made for guns.

Explain that one, please.
Many if not most gun oils are re-branded industrial oils like penetrating oil or hydraulic oil.

This. Some are even engine oil.

Yep, I mix my own gun lubes...presently using some ATF with a little STP for slickness and thickness with just a dash of MMO...easy to adjust viscosity for the application needed. As far as using wheel bearing grease, I tried some Amsoil grease one time but found that a little STP on the slide rails was easier and slicker...I picked up a tube of STP years ago, yes tube - it was sold for a multi purpose lubricant in a squeeze tube - don't know if it's still available like that but that tube is still practically full since it takes so little. I have some small leftover BreakFree CLP bottles that I use to keep my mixes in...

A lot of people use a synthetic motor oil of some sort and I keep a small bottle of Amsoil sitting around too ... any and all of it has worked just fine and you can't beat the price, which is basically free if you are already using the products on your vehicle anyway...just the left over in the bottom of the containers will supply you with all the gun lube you'll need...

I've been using motor oil of some sort ever since I found out that Browning used 30 weight motor oil at their facilities...that was back in the late 80's or early 90's when my gunsmith Uncle told me of asking a Browning technician what type of oil they used on their guns at the repair center and he said 30 weight...my Uncle inquired as to the Browning Gun Oil and the tech said that's what we make to sell but we use 30 wt motor oil here.....anyway, motor oil (or a mixture thereof) has been working fine for me ever since. It's only every now and then that I need a stronger cleaner than WD-40 and it's usually always some type of automotive product that's used then as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back