Wheel bearing grease discussion

Hanging out with the mice behind a fridge.😁
So I have been researching grease because I need to service my front wheel bearings in my 2000 F350.

So I came up with 3 options and I am trying to decide which one is best.

I am trying to decide between
Mobil 1 synthetic
Mobility SHC 100
Mobil SHC Polyrex 462 (or 222)

I would like to discuss grease qualities and application.
I don't want to restrict the discussion to those greases I just want to keep it scientific.

[Linked Image]

So here are some of the specs for the SHC Polyrex greases.
I just don't know how to interpret the data. I understand oil at least somewhat but grease has me a bit lost.

Ford's been doing the "Special Moly EP" thing since at least the 80's. I'd just make sure those synthetics meet Ford's EP (extreme pressure) spec. Just because they say synthetic doesn't mean they lubricate better. I guess their advantage is in extreme high temp situations as in descending a 10 mile long hill on the brakes while hauling 10,000lb.

I can tell you that it's all I use. When I got my truck (used with no known history) a few weeks later it burned up a wheel bearing. I fixed it on a sunday. I had to source bearings and races from several places to make up enough parts to replace the damaged bearings. Most from china. Iirc one race was made in argentina.

They have been in there for 60,000 miles with no issues. I am sold on that grease.

Timken GR224C is what I've always used. Clean the bearings & hub real well & Pack the bearings. Replace the grease seals as needed. Snug the nut a few times to seat the bearings then back off @ 1/8 turn.

Most pack the hub & cap with grease...Like the grease is going to jump back in the bearing
lol.gif

Procedure is more important than the grease in my opinion, Running the bearings too tight & Too much Negative Camber is what kills serviceable tapered front wheel bearings. Twin I-Beam Fords are known for excessive negative camber as the coil springs collapse & ball joints wear.

Originally Posted by Zahndkile
So I have been researching grease because I need to service my front wheel bearings in my 2000 F350.

So I came up with 3 options and I am trying to decide which one is best.

I am trying to decide between
Mobil 1 synthetic
Mobility SHC 100
Mobil SHC Polyrex 462 (or 222)

I would like to discuss grease qualities and application.
I don't want to restrict the discussion to those greases I just want to keep it scientific.

Mobility was supposed to be Mobilith. (Thanks auto correct)

Originally Posted by j_mac
Ford's been doing the "Special Moly EP" thing since at least the 80's. I'd just make sure those synthetics meet Ford's EP (extreme pressure) spec. Just because they say synthetic doesn't mean they lubricate better. I guess their advantage is in extreme high temp situations as in descending a 10 mile long hill on the brakes while hauling 10,000lb.

I just wonder how much merit fords molly requirement has. I want to see a test that shows that it actually reduces wear or something.
I also have access to a drum of ford spec molly grease but i like researching to decide what may be the best.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Timken GR224C is what I've always used. Clean the bearings & hub real well & Pack the bearings. Replace the grease seals as needed. Snug the nut a few times to seat the bearings then back off @ 1/8 turn.

Most pack the hub & cap with grease...Like the grease is going to jump back in the bearing
lol.gif

Procedure is more important than the grease in my opinion, Running the bearings too tight & Too much Negative Camber is what kills serviceable tapered front wheel bearings. Twin I-Beam Fords are known for excessive negative camber as the coil springs collapse & ball joints wear.

I couldn't agree more.
I just enjoy the research and feeling like I made an informed decision.

My thought is they are just tapered roller bearings so if a grease is excellent for tapered rollers than it doesn't matter if it doesn't carry ford approval.
On the other hand if the ford grease is actually superior then I will pick a brand and go with it.

One nice thing is that grease compatibility is not a concern because the bearings will be completely cleaned before being re greased.

The Ford "Moly EP" spec means its a grease that has been formulated with Molybdenum Disulfide. EP means it meets specs that qualifies it as an Extreme Pressure grease as in it can take higher loads.
Molybdenum Disulfide was known for decades as the best lubricating grease available. One of the harshest tests for a lubricant is breaking in a flat tappet camshaft. MoS2 (moly disulfide) grease was the standard cam assembly lube for decades. It must be great for wheel bearings. Ford has been specifying it for wheel bearings since at least the mid-80s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by j_mac
The Ford "Moly EP" spec means its a grease that has been formulated with Molybdenum Disulfide. EP means it meets specs that qualifies it as an Extreme Pressure grease as in it can take higher loads.
Molybdenum Disulfide was known for decades as the best lubricating grease available. One of the harshest tests for a lubricant is breaking in a flat tappet camshaft. MoS2 (moly disulfide) grease was the standard cam assembly lube for decades. It must be great for wheel bearings. Ford has been specifying it for wheel bearings since at least the mid-80s.

That makes sense.
I do wonder if there have been any advances in that time.

I guess its like handguns. By the mid 80's they had been perfected. Nothing new to speak of.

Originally Posted by Zahndkile
My thought is they are just tapered roller bearings so if a grease is excellent for tapered rollers than it doesn't matter if it doesn't carry ford approval.
On the other hand if the ford grease is actually superior then I will pick a brand and go with it.

One nice thing is that grease compatibility is not a concern because the bearings will be completely cleaned before being re greased.

Been using Mobil 1 synthetic for years, Castrol and Amalie before that, none with moly and never had a bearing failure. Keep the seals and dust caps in good shape, pack them right, adjust them properly and service at the spec interval and you will never have a problem.
Ford called it grease for disc brake systems so how old is that spec?

If you want a grease with a little moly that meets Ford specs get Valvoline Synthetic grease.

But most red wheel bearing grease will work fine today as well. Unless you use general cheap grease then you should not have an issue with most good wheel bearing greases today.

Just some random comments here, as I have no experience with your Ford. Is it a 4 wheel drive hub?

The Polyrex product does not list the GC-LB spec for wheel bearing and chassis lube, so why would you even consider it. Same thing for your Mobil SCH 100 - it's an aircraft grease with no GC-LB listing: https://www.exxonmobil.com/en-US/Aviation/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-Aviation-Grease-SHC-100.

What is factory speced for your bearings? Is it Ford XG-11? Spec. WSS-M1C267-A1 ..... A Mobil product with this approval is: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Grease/pds/GL-XX-Ronex-MP ...It seems to just be a typical lithium complex grease.

Most of these greases discussed have a Timken Load test of only around 40 to 50, so don't get hung up on the idea that you need a very high extreme pressure EP rating here. Somewhere (can't find it), Timken has a paper that warns against using VERY high EP rated greases for wheel bearings. As a group, I don't think we ever figured out why Ford is the the odd-man-out recommending moly in wheel bearings. It's generally thought of as an additive for sliding type applications, especially high load areas like pins/bushings, etc..

Based on all the general recommendations here, I think your only chance to identify a super grease that has proven better results in your Ford is to peruse all the Ford specific forums and see if there is a consensus. Sorry I can't help any better.

Back