What’s your thermostat set to any why? Heat source?

I have 2 sources of heat;
90% efficiency LP gas furnace which I use very little. 500 gal. tank gets filled 2x/yr, mostly because I also have an LP gas water heater, which I love.
Wood/coal furnace which is primary. Lots of work cutting, splitting, stacking, handling the wood.
T-stat setting varies according to desires. It controls the draft blower so it's used to increase the fire's output and then turned down when desired temp is reached (usually 70-72*).

it is not a waste. i have for over 10 000 dollars of steam bent wood snare drums that need to be kept without cold and humidity. these musical instruments are like the stradivarius of the drumming world. cold and humidity is a no go in my home.

You didn’t mention that. It’s interesting that such a high temp is required. Thanks for sharing.

I have a 3 month old infant and a 1.5 year old toddler, I’m not freezing them out. 66-68F 24/7 in the winter, 72-74F in the summer. If we leave for an extended period I’ll adjust it accordingly, but I have no desire to be uncomfortable in my own home.

That makes perfect sense. I very one has their own needs.

My kids have never minded the cold. We have to force them to put socks and warmer clothes on. They get cold sometimes (even I do) but most of the time they don‘t mind it. They spend 90% of their time out in the cold spaces and the rest in the nice and warm bedroom. The bedroom is usually at 62F or so. That’s warm to us.

Again, we turn the heat up of one of us is under the weather or simply having one of those days where you just can’t get warm. Luckily those days are few and far between.

Gas forced air.
68 degrees f during the day. 67 or 66 at night.
I work from home and use an oil-filled space heater to augment which affects things to some literal degree. No, I don't know what brand or grade of oil the space heater is running! Oh wait... that was some BITOG reflex!

Made me laugh! With those EXTREME temps, I hope the NOACK and flash point are high enough! :ROFLMAO:

Our old place had a gas furnace. We would turn the heat off at night and just use a space heater. It was fine during mildly cold days, but not when it was very cold, such as in the teens or lower and especially if it was gusty outside. We keep the main heat up in those cases.

I don’t miss much about that condo, except for how little it cost to live there. Townhouse style with its own basement; cost was around a grand to live there, including the mortgage, assessment for the roof and bills.

We keep our thermostat set on 72 deg F year-round, day and night. We have a Heat Pump for heating and cooling.

64 degrees, oil, baseboard heat. Bought a big house a few years ago, 7 heating zones and 6,000sf. Utilities haven’t been fun. Come to think of it, replacing the roof wasn’t fun either.

64 degrees, oil, baseboard heat. Bought a big house a few years ago, 7 heating zones and 6,000sf. Utilities haven’t been fun. Come to think of it, replacing the roof wasn’t fun either.
That's 5 of my houses.... FIVE

Just curious, but what does a person do with 6000 square feet of house? The largest I ever owned was 3500 s/f and I felt like I lived in a cavern and people (and I) made fun of me. Joked about "the west wing," and such... Totally unjustifiable for my needs at that time, it was just stupid inexpensive in the area in which I lived.

That's 5 of my houses.... FIVE

Just curious, but what does a person do with 6000 square feet of house? The largest I ever owned was 3500 s/f and I felt like I lived in a cavern and people (and I) made fun of me. Joked about "the west wing," and such... Totally unjustifiable for my needs at that time, it was just stupid inexpensive in the area in which I lived.
Entertained a little at first. Sometimes it’s a good gathering place with friends in the bar room. But yeah, the house was probably a mistake.

Entertained a little at first. Sometimes it’s a good gathering place with friends in the bar room. But yeah, the house was probably a mistake.
Wow, and I love space. I wish my current house was maybe 50% larger. But 6000 s/f must be murder on taxes, heating, maintenance, etc. You mentioned the roof... OMG that's a back breaker. I have had to downsize my life a lot going from 3500 s/f to 1300 s/f. It's been a mixed blessing. But the taxes are extremely low and maintenance is commensurately lower.

Wow, and I love space. I wish my current house was maybe 50% larger. But 6000 s/f must be murder on taxes, heating, maintenance, etc. You mentioned the roof... OMG that's a back breaker. I have had to downsize my life a lot going from 3500 s/f to 1300 s/f. It's been a mixed blessing. But the taxes are extremely low and maintenance is commensurately lower.
Yeah the roof killed me. $24,000. I think I’ve spent $2,400 in oil since October. Probably will spend another $2,000 before winter is over. So maybe $4,400 this winter. That’s actually not too bad.

I had a boss who at the time had a two story 8,000 sq ft home. I asked him why do you need a house that large. He answered "One floor for her, one floor for me". He got divorced shortly after that but is happily remarried.

61 with propane . Use several LASKO cylinder space heaters that rotate 360 or less with settings . Under $100 for each .

Last edited:
I don‘t know why we hadn’t done it before, but I just bought some electric mattress heating pads. It’s more of an experiment than to try and save any
money. It might allow me to lower the BR temp while we sleep, it might only make my wife more comfortable. Either way, I think it’ll be worth it…if they last.

I decided to do this after buying and seeing how effective a pet one is for our dog in his crate at night. He‘s always restless and sheds like crazy, so the bedroom was out of the question. We were keeping him in the small guest bathroom, but that was not practical. Now, with the heating pad under the plastic bottom and a cloth draped over the crate it gets nice and toasty in there. The pad only draws around 75W on high, so not much cost added. I was sure the 75W would be only good for mild temps, but now I’m not so sure; it was pretty warm in there with the living room at 50.

Our dog is reactive and pretty high strung and always antsy (we have trained the heck out of him and he’s on meds, which help). He refuses to sleep while we’re out and about and he shuffles around at night. With the heating pad on low during the day he spends a ton of time in his crate, actually lying down and sometimes even snoozing. That’s never happened before. He’s almost always underfoot.

Anyway, I’m hoping that the mattress heating pads will be just as beneficial. With the cost of electricity going up recently, I’d rather be sleeping cozy in bed with the heat warming me directly. If they are really warm I might even be able to talk my wife into dropping the heat a bit. As is, at 60-63F I only use a thin blanket. Every so often the temp will get down just below 60F; if I feel cold I have a second thin blanket, but thats rare. My wife, however, uses a comforter pretty much year round. As I’ve said before, she controls the thermostat in the BR. If she wants it warmer, that’s what we do. I think I’d have to put my foot down at 70F+; that’s too warm for both of us to sleep.

61 with propane . Use several LASKO cylinder space heaters that rotate 360 or less with settings . Under $100 for each .

Actually they were both under $70 . Use them until time to sleep . Back on after awakening .

Actually they were both under $70 . Use them until time to sleep . Back on after awakening .
IMG_9990.JPG

My AC is a huge part of my electric bill, easily half.

My thermostat is on a schedule don't really touch it much. 74 after 10pm and 82 after 6am. Drops to 76 at 4pm when I get home. Weekends wait until closer to noon to bump up the temp.

No heating.

Why are people heating their houses overnight, or vacant, at 60+ degrees? You're literally heating empty rooms that will be empty for many hours or even days? Not comprehending this.

At night or when I leave for a long period the thermostat goes to 50.

Many furnaces including the one in my old house specifically state in the installation manual that 55F is lowest allowable incoming air temp to prevent heat exchanger damage.

Back