What’s your thermostat set to any why? Heat source?

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Heat source: electric baseboard with independent thermostats in every room.

Main bedroom: 58-60F at night, 58-65F for my wife during the day. If she’s doing chores she almost always turns the heat off.

Kid‘s BR: 58-60F at night, off during the day.

Living room: off unless it gets below around 50F most days; 55-60F or so when we’re hanging out or watching movies (if we want that, which isn’t always); as needed (usually 68F+) when guests are over.

Guest rooms: whatever they want. Keep it at 90 for all I care.

All: off if we’re not occupy the space.

Amplifying info:

1. We aren’t keeping the heat off/low just to save money. We are simply uncomfortably hot at 70F+ and don’t see a reason to waste money if it’s literally not providing any benefit. I’m sitting here with the meter reading 50.7F/47% RH and I’m just about to turn down my electric throw because I’m a little bit too warm.

2. I maybe should have made this #1, but suffice to say I don’t mess around with freeze risks. if it gets below 40F I turn on the heat. I have thermometers everywhere, many of which are smart. I have a 1500W heater in the coldest part of the basement on a smart switch, which I monitor temp near. Over the last couple of cold days it never dropped below 45F, so the heater has remained off.

3. If ANY or us feels unwell or cold for any reason the heat goes up. Most of the time that means upping the heat in the bedroom(s), because there’s no need to make all of us uncomfortable just for one person; that is, except for my wife. While my kids can hunker down in a warm room, my wife needs to move throughout the house at all times and I would never make her be uncomfortable. She hasn‘t actually ever done so, but if she wanted to turn the heat up in the open area (the living room, kitchen, dining room are all open to each other) or a anywhere, really, she has 100% authority. I don’t mean that I GIVE her permission. She literally does what she wants.

I actually keep the bedroom warmer just for her; I like it colder, but don’t mind upping the thermostat a couple of degrees to make her happy. When I wake up in the morning for work a few hours before she does, I turn the heat up in the room and connected bathroom a few degrees so she’s more comfortable getting the kids ready (including showers) in the morning.

What about you guys? Any kindred spirits? Any cold-blooded reptilian folks? lol. Maybe some conflicts between what you and the significant other or kids wants? I find this kind of thing very interesting.

Wife prefers it cooler than I do, if anything as I get older I prefer warmer. I also live in front of a computer and anything less than 70 or so has me feeling cold--when I was in-office they kept it 70-72 or so, so one gets used to it.

House is around 66, 64 in the bedroom. Of course, that's at the thermostat, as you wander around it is cooler of course. Thought about adding smart thermostats but the one the wife got seemed cheesy so I didn't install it. Plus with us home a lot more these days it seems less needed.

Oil heat and our house is a ranch so it's a bit of an oil hog. I think next summer we might add a house wrap / vapor barrier, for some reason it was left off ours (apparently wasn't required at time of build).

Wife prefers it cooler than I do, if anything as I get older I prefer warmer. I also live in front of a computer and anything less than 70 or so has me feeling cold--when I was in-office they kept it 70-72 or so, so one gets used to it.

House is around 66, 64 in the bedroom. Of course, that's at the thermostat, as you wander around it is cooler of course. Thought about adding smart thermostats but the one the wife got seemed cheesy so I didn't install it. Plus with us home a lot more these days it seems less needed.

Oil heat and our house is a ranch so it's a bit of an oil hog. I think next summer we might add a house wrap / vapor barrier, for some reason it was left off ours (apparently wasn't required at time of build).

That’s actually an excellent point and one factor I forgot all about! If I spend a lot of time on the computer my hands tend to get a bit cold. I’m usually good with taking a break and using a hand warmer, but some days that just doesn’t work and the heat need to go up a bit.

You also bring up a good point in that our house is pretty well draft-free. I’ve been in houses (and especially at work) where the thermometer empty meant pretty much nothing!

When was your place built? We have a 1980 ranch and it’s far from perfect. It definitely needs some updates. For instance, the attic insulation (crawl space) has sagged over the years and need to be updated.

68F to 70F. I'd prefer it around 65F to 68F but the wife likes it warmer, and we have little kids that can't/don't use blankets overnight.

I’m sitting here watching tv in shorts and a t-shirt. It’s 30 outside. The family room is set to 72. The upstairs is 71, goes down a few degrees to 69 at night for the kids’ rooms. Our bedroom thermostat goes from 71 during the day to 67 at night. I’d go lower than that but my wife will complain.

That’s actually an excellent point and one factor I forgot all about! If I spend a lot of time on the computer my hands tend to get a bit cold. I’m usually good with taking a break and using a hand warmer, but some days that just doesn’t work and the heat need to go up a bit.

You also bring up a good point in that our house is pretty well draft-free. I’ve been in houses (and especially at work) where the thermometer empty meant pretty much nothing!

When was your place built? We have a 1980 ranch and it’s far from perfect. It definitely needs some updates. For instance, the attic insulation (crawl space) has sagged over the years and need to be updated.
Ours was built 1999. As a modular I'm 99% sure was done to required code. But while pulling back some siding to install a dryer vent I realized that there was no vapor barrier on the outside of the sheathing. Hmm. I did a quick look and apparently it's not required, but recommended. I fixed a draft around one window but I still think we shed a bit too much heat for my liking.

I kinda can't wait for the kids to move out so I can steal a bedroom and move my computer up from the basement upstairs. I sometimes run a small space heater, aimed at my feet, just to keep warm. I should just learn to get up and take a walk every 30 minutes or so.

68F to 70F. I'd prefer it around 65F to 68F but the wife likes it warmer, and we have little kids that can't/don't use blankets overnight.

Another good point - kids. My two young kids need to be told to put more dang clothes and socks on. My son is currently on the couch next to me in thin jammies and no socks. The giant blanket next to him is sitting right there. :unsure:

I’m sitting here watching tv in shorts and a t-shirt. It’s 30 outside. The family room is set to 72. The upstairs is 71, goes down a few degrees to 69 at night for the kids’ rooms. Our bedroom thermostat goes from 71 during the day to 67 at night. I’d go lower than that but my wife will complain.

Lol. I feel you. I saaaay I’d be fine with my family choosing a much higher temp, but that’s probably a lie!

Thermostat for the oil burner set at 63 day and 55 night. My wife keeps her bed room at 65 with electric base board. I try to keep the oil burner off by running the wood stove, which is no longer 100% airtight. I'm comfy with the desk thermometer showing 67.as I type this.

Ours was built 1999. As a modular I'm 99% sure was done to required code. But while pulling back some siding to install a dryer vent I realized that there was no vapor barrier on the outside of the sheathing. Hmm. I did a quick look and apparently it's not required, but recommended. I fixed a draft around one window but I still think we shed a bit too much heat for my liking.

I kinda can't wait for the kids to move out so I can steal a bedroom and move my computer up from the basement upstairs. I sometimes run a small space heater, aimed at my feet, just to keep warm. I should just learn to get up and take a walk every 30 minutes or so.

Have you tried an electric throw? I know they all have crap reviews, but I’ve been doing OK. I think they’re all around 100W and they out the heat right on you. Hand warmers are key, too!

Natural Gas - 66 deg ........have a Vornado Heater in case I feel cold .

I unplugged all electrical appliances and a stereo that I dont use to save electricity .

I wish we still had hot water stream heat with radiators. My old house had it great comfort but more expensive to run. I just can't get used to the forced hot air.

Speaking of expensive, the one AND ONLY benefit of the electric baseboard we now have is that it’s pretty much bulletproof.

I have a backup gennie and propane Mr Heater emergency heat source, so there’s that…I guess.

Typically 18°C at night and 20-21°C during the day if we're home and it's cold outside. Bump it up about a degree in both cases if it's especially cold (~
For those who work at computers and don't otherwise wish to crank up the thermostat, consider radiant electric heat. I have a parabolic heat dish, and if I'm in the sights of that thing I can tolerate a much lower ambient temperature.

Edited to mention we have a natural gas forced air furnace. Single thermostat/zone in a 3-story ~3000 sqft. house.

Back