What's your oldest oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...in plastic quarts? (not cans you vintage oil collectors!
laugh.gif
)

Between the Walmart Synpower deal and my Rotella T5 deal from AZ, I have about 80 quarts added to my stash. Less than $2 for name brand synthetic and HDEO was just too good of a deal to pass up. No AZ clearance goose chases, rebates etc. I will admit, had I known I would have found the T5 cheaper than the Synpower, I probably would have bought less of it, but oh well.

My only concern is the jugs leaking. What's the oldest quart(s) you guys have in your stashes? I've personally had 3 different leakers throughout being a BITOG member. Perhaps they were duds because I still have oil from 2 of the 3 hauls that have remained leak free over the last few years.
21.gif

My oldest oil this spring was a 37 Ford V8-60 that was parked during WWII. We worked on it for a couple of hours and started it without changing the oil and ran it for about 10 minutes until it stopped smoking and started running smooth and would actually idle.

We did change the oil, though. A bunch of times. We sold it several days later to a collector. I think oil has a longer shelf life than just a few years.

8 year old Mobil 1 10w-30 1-quart bottle, about 2/3 full, being used to oil guns.
Never keeping more than 2 years worth of engine oil changes, so at 7 gallons stash of fresh oil.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My oldest oil this spring was a 37 Ford V8-60 that was parked during WWII. We worked on it for a couple of hours and started it without changing the oil and ran it for about 10 minutes until it stopped smoking and started running smooth and would actually idle.

We did change the oil, though. A bunch of times. We sold it several days later to a collector. I think oil has a longer shelf life than just a few years.

I should have been more clear in my op.

The age of the oil is not a concern to me.. it's the age and quality of their storage containers.

I had some single qt bottles of Pennzoil Platinum I used about 3 months ago that was bottled in mid 2009, I have had them since 2011-2012. They sat in my garage for at least 5 years.
I have also had a 6 month old 5 qt jug leak for no reason as well (was also Pennzoil Platinum). There was a pinhole leak in the bottom of the jug. Only reason I found it was I had my oil under a workbench and when I was grabbing something from under there, I saw a wet spot on the wood. Traced it to that jug.
Other than that, I don't think I have had any other leaking containers. I have had a few that leaked from the cap when set on their side and there is no foil seal, but that can be expected.
My oil is kept in my unheated, non air-conditioned garage. Air temps get to ~95°F in the summer, no where near freezing in the winter.

Just put 4 quarts of 10 year old Maxlife ATF in my Xterra.
It's rated for Dextron III, and it's been quite a bit smoother.
Total capacity of the 2004 Xterra is 12 quarts? I think? And a gallon comes out when you pull the plug.
I do a drain and fill every 20,000 miles and it seems to like it.

I purchased the Maxlife around a decade ago when a Pepboys nearby was closing.
It's lived in an attached garage ever since.
Didn't notice any separation or condensation, just your typical stinky Maxlife.

That's the last of it, I still have 5-6 quarts of Pennsoil Mercon V that I still need to use up, similar age.

Bought it all for about $1 a bottle when I had or maintained cars that leaked a bit.
Once those cars went away my stash has been slowly shrinking.

I had 4-6 qts of 1995 Red Line MTL that I gave away last year. They didn't leak.

I also had several quarts of Mobil 1 15w-50 from the mid-1990's (SJ/SH). Those didn't leak either. Still have one of those quarts left.

I still have a bunch of Mobil 1 15w50 Tri-Synthetic I bought back in the late 90s. I also got some 30Wt Evel Knevel motorcycle oil in plastic qt jugs. Pretty cool.

I have a quart of the red cap Mobil 1 15W50 that has no mention of Exxon on the bottle. It's a "Mobil" oil,not an "ExxonMobil" oil.

This winter season was my first one stocking up on clearance oil, so it's mostly 2015/2016. I have a single quart of PP from 2013, if the copyright date on the label is indication of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back