WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE OIL FOR YOUR OWN VEHICLE(S)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a lot of Havoline DS because it cost me $1/q.

Have 5w-20 in the Astra over winter, although in Europe the same engine specs 5w-40.

Short trips and woman driver = low oil temps = thick oil.

I like rotella t-6 in the summer in the truck and escape. I like the higher hths for towing. In the winter m1 0w30 for the cold start viscosity. My sons saturn likes pennzoil hm, i might try some mobil 1 hm. olds will keep m1 0w 30 all year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I don't have a favorite oil.

crackmeup2.gif

Sorry!!

Petro-Canada....I hope. I love the fact it's a Canadian company and I believe it's a quality product. 0w30 happens to be a very reasonable price as well.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I use a lot of Havoline DS because it cost me $1/q.

Have 5w-20 in the Astra over winter, although in Europe the same engine specs 5w-40.

Short trips and woman driver = low oil temps = thick oil.

wanna share some of that havoline? i wish i could get a good oil like that for a buck!! what would it cost to ship 3 cases to texas lol

Mobil extended performance 10w-30 for volvo 2.5l non-turbo engine
The engine revs smooth and nice with that oil.

Any name brand SM/SN rated dino oil that I can get on sale. Right now I have a stash of QSGB 5L that I got on sale at Walmart Canada for $8.88. Also, some Valvoline WB 5L on sale again for $10.88 a jug. Also, some PYB jugs and some Castrol GTX, again, all bought at sale prices.

I like something different for each car.

Yaris - any synthetic, sometimes a good dino.
del Sol - PU or PP only!!! love that little beast
Civic - I dont give a [censored], fiance's car. If she wants to waste PU on that little waste of money thats fine with me. Id like to see that thing get nothing but PYB for the rest of her life since she doesnt believe in extended oci's anyway.

Overall favorite - PP love how fast the oil picks up deposits!

In my head, all oils are pretty much equal as long as they are used the way they were intended to be used.

In order to pick one, I have to pick one based on feel and the one that made the greatest impression on me is Mobil 1 5w30. I actually once tried to hate on this oil when it came down to it, it gained my favor the most.

The more I read the more I am leaning to Mobil 1 5w50.

Its more of a 5w45 and available everywhere OTC in OZ. and the viscosity spread not as bad as you initially think.

Where's Dr T. ?

Can some BITOGer get PM and get him back.
I miss his support and views on the 5w50.

Wheres TooSlick, Pscholte, Bruce381, Moribundman and others from the commencment of the thin era ?

Last edited:
For the Saturn SL-1: I like Havoline or Pennzoil for the add. packs and stoutness.

For the Camry: I like Maxlife as the engine leaks a little without it.

For the awesome GMC Sierra: I like Amsoil ASL because I want the best & use it as a truck, tow a 3,000 Lb. Boat, haul wood, drive to Ice Fishing when it's 20-30 below zero, etc...

Pennzoil dino is one older vehicle.
Pennzoil Synthetic in the newer vehicles and mowers.
Rotella T in the Goldwing.

Having used Pennzoil in work vehicles without any failure, I just feel very comfortable with it. It gets great reviews on here and I am just not into trying store-brand oils.
Rotella gets great reviews for Goldwings and the price is right.

Amsoil for me also. Excellent selection of oils and other lubes for whatever you own, boat tractor, etc. I can have it at my doorstep in about 3 days.

Putting in Amsoil 10w30 ATM this April in all three vehicle.

Other oils I use/like are
Royal Purple
Mobil 1 EP
Pennzoil Ultra

Dino:
Formula Shell

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Even as an Amsoil Dealer I had to try all the products over the years, and I'm dead serious, it took me what 9 years! I finally ran HDD in my Volvo. Wow - this is a great oil.

Pablo,

Question for you, if you have a chance to buy Synpower or PP or M1 for $2/qt or less, after rebate, do you still want to use HDD and skip Synpower or PP ?

Yes.

Thanks, I'll try HDD in the E430 the next OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back