what's your favorite motor noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always like the sound of a marine diesel for some reason. Not that I'm particularly involved with boats or boating, but a marine diesel in a ferry type boat under good load, at cruise, just sounds nice to me. A second choice would be a jet engine spooling-up, oh and an RS-3 locomotive thumping away at idle.

I like Jet engines. I prefer a smooth reving engine like an Acura rather then a loud exhaust/muscle car type. I've always like a smooth refined sound better. Now my dad who is about 51 and grew up in the muscle car days with his Dodge Charger, prefers a loud car.

Blown BBC.
burnout.gif

of jet engine noises I like the noise a C-130 makes right as the starter is engaged. it makes a big whoosh then a nice zzziiiinnnnggg sound as the engine spools up.
I like the sound of a big turbo on a big rig, especially when you here it spool up after a shift.
I love all of the noises old cars make. by old I mean cars from 1900-1950, back when every mechanism in the car made noise.
I also love the sound a big v-8 makes above 6000 rpm, like a Nascar car. it's an ear splitting growl. it's a different sound than a hot rod engine.
then there is the great sound of a v-12 racing engine. at high speed it doesn't sound like an engine at all, more like an air tool or a saw.

i could keep going and going. I observe the noise of every mechanical thing I can. it's part of my job, and sort of a hobby.

Anything with a wild cam, high compression, or a gear drive for the camshaft. Hearing an airliner in the process of a steep takeoff is musical too.

My absolute favorite is the sound of any race engine being revved as I'm getting out of my car in the parking lot at a race track, when I'm still five minutes from seeing anything. For me that is thrilling and excruciating, simultaneously.

A big turbo-charged diesel.

I volunteer fire dept about 25 miles away has a truck with a 14L Cummins. The whine of the turbo overpowers the rattle of the diesel, making it sound like a locomotive when it pulls away from a stop. Now that's a powerful sound.

Any solid lifter engine.... the sewing machine clatter of a modest flat tappet..... nothing really big...... but the clatter of valve lash is irresistable to me.

I definitely enjoyed hearing the marine diesel pushing a flotilla of barges down the Ohio River as I stood on the shore in Illinios. Music to my ears.

A nice Harly sound is always a treat.

A hot V8 with a hot cam.

Trains passing in the night when I am asleep. Used to sleep across the river from that in college and would wake up, listen to the train, and go back to sleep. Somehow enjoyed it.

For the most part I can't stand the sound of jets. Probably because the things are flying over my neighborhood way too much. (Wife is the opposite, loves the jets, hates the trains.)

I'm with michaelc80--The hollering noise of a big GM V-8 with the secondaries breathing and an open-element air cleaner.

The rumble of big block Mopars and true Pontiacs are also quite lovely.

The Detroit Diesel 6V92 has an interesting sound when it goes from idle to moving. Especially it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Also I like the older Mercedes diesel engines idle sound. Don't know a whole lot about airplane turbine engines. But seems like some have more of a roar and some have a whinning sound.

A nice open exhaust v6. Not too open, but just enough muffler/resonator to get it sounding burbly. (see: 350z)

Or, a 4 cylinder that somehow has a deep tone to it, and doesn't buzz.

Exotic - Rolls-Royce Merlin, Spitfire, P51, etc., which for me is the prettiest sounding engine ever made. A very different sound that I've come to like is a Porsche 917.

Non-Exotic - I've really warmed up to the Cummins turbo-diesel in my truck as you can sometimes hear the turbo whine thru the rumble of the inline 6.

well, since you said motor... then I cant really say.

but for engines... I like the sound of my mercedes 5-cyl diesel, tapping away at idle, making the quintessential diesel racket, yet very smooth under load.

For a slightly more "out there" sound, I like the sound of the big ship propulsion GTs in the sailor training site by where I work. I think its an LM2500 for a DDG51 type ship. Walking by while it makes that nice high-frequency ringing sound... i wish I could have a car that sounded like that when operating...

JMH

Big steam engines on boats. Too bad they just became a thing of the past. Especially the "glung glung" nearby the wide chimney.

For cars... Big old GM's, at idle or just passing by, like Olds. 455.

Generally, relating to transportation, spoken brief gone far sounds. No over-emphasizing, coupled with speed so tight noises. This puts the speed sense in purest form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back