What's with the Scion tC factory fill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSQ

I changed out the factory oil from my 1 month old 2006 scion tC with 1200 miles on it. I immidiately noticed a few differences after the change:

-Before the swap, the fan in the engine compartment would always come on as I pull into my driveway, and the engine would be pretty hot. It also seem to run a little cooler according to the temperature on the dash
-There would be burnt oil smell with the factory fill. No more of those smell after the change.
-Engine noise reduced after the changed, seem to run smoother.

The new oil I put in was Castrol GTX, with Bosch Premium 3311 filter.

I just wanted to share my joy with everybody else, and no, it's not the mind. And I suppose this is normal for toyotas?

If it runs that hot you might want to consider a synthetic oil, I recomend amsoil, Pablo might chime in.

The burning oil smell is the underbody coating burning off. This is common, and usually is gone by around 1,000 miles.

Also, unless you have a aftermarket temp gauge, I seriously doubt the stock unit would display a temp differance. Most stock units are nothing more than idiot lights with needles. They won't move unless the car is overheating or you just started it.

However, I am glad you noticed positive results with GTX. It is a good oil, should serve you well.

Since the GTX is doing a decent job of cooling it, I think I will stick with the GTX / other dinos. I love changing oil so synthetics isn't for me. I stuck with the 3000miles/3 months interval even when I used synthetics in the past. Stopped doing that to avoid getting stoned to death by BITOGers.

As for the temperature, yes, it was on the stock unit. I am pretty posivite that the temperature when I drive around "seem" lower since the change. But one thing for certain, The fan stopped coming in everytime I pull into the driveway.

quote:

Originally posted by SSQ:
I will stick with the GTX / other dinos. I love changing oil so synthetics isn't for me. I stuck with the 3000miles/3 months interval even when I used synthetics in the past. Stopped doing that to avoid getting stoned to death by BITOGers.

It's not easy being us, huh, SSQ? We're the underground that mainstream BITOGers don't like to acknowledge, even disparagingly, in polite company. (I think they secretly harbor an inferiority complex...
wink.gif
)

Enjoy your new TC they are a good looking car. Curious if Scion manual and oil cap recommends 5w 20 or 5w 30 on your TC?
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I am pretty certain that I stayed with the recommended 5w30 weight. At least that's what it said on the bottle I bought. Could it be possible that toyota filled the car from factory with a different weight oil for break in purposes?

Haven't you been around BITOG long enough to learn the obvious fact that Pennzoil causes sludge? Hehe.... oh well

Scion recommends 5w30 oil.

I do also have a few cases of Havoline on my shelf. How critical is moly in a new engine? Should I switch over anytime soon?

As for the Bosch filters, I am aware that they arn't the best filters for the money. I usually go with Napa Gold, but the local napa was out of the ones for this application. The local toyota dealership does carry the good toyota filters, but at 6.99/filter and I am a cheap guy. The closest walmart is like 15 miles away. I have always learned that silicon ADBV is a good thing and I don't think STP uses silicon ADBV.... So zat's how I ended up with zis Bosch filter.

I'm gonna stock up on the Napa Gold next time I'm there.

I'm wondering if your scion came from the factory with 5w20. There may not be a way to tell w/o a uoa.

There is no necessity to run a moly-rich oil for breakin, it's just what i would do with a new car. The first 3 or 4 oil changes in my mazda when new were with havoline 10w30.

quote:

I stuck with the 3000miles/3 months interval even when I used synthetics in the past. Stopped doing that to avoid getting stoned to death by BITOGers.

you will still get the occasional stone for 3mo/3k dino oci. you have been warned.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

I am thinking about doing a UOA on this oil. But the thing is that there's really no point of doing so to factory oils since there's really no actions that can be taken. I still have the oil if I decide to do an UOA.

Now that even toyota has recommended 5k mile OCI, it's really hard for me to use the "But the warranty...." excuse to avoid stones. I'll just have to suck them up now.

Never had a problem with the factory fill in my 2AZ-FE but it was only in their for 58 miles! Now all of the protective coatings on the houses the plastics etc.... under hood will stink the first month as they burn off. My engine has never made the oil smell burnt or smelled like burning oil. To date my engine wich is just under 40,000 miles has only burnt some oil once and that was when I switched it over to synthetic the first time. It burnt a 1/4 of a quart. It has since that time never registered a drop at all on the dip stick between oil changes.

I doubt you have a problem! IF so you have 36,000 miles to find it and get it fixed!

The smells have already been addressed.
My temp gauge on my '06 tC hasn't budged - 102° or 32° outside...
smile.gif

It came with 5w30 in the car and on the cap/manual, but Toyota/Scion have since changed to recommending 5w20...
Not sure yet if I will make the move myself - almost NO 5w20 in anything I was going to buy (full-synth) and I went to two auto parts stores to look - odd I thought. or maybe it's too new and too popular?
My tC seems to be smoother after going to Kendall 5w30 synthetic on my last change, but could be psychological...

Good luck, the tC is making me really happy.

Scott

Wait a minute.... you said toyota is actually recommending 5W30 now?? shouldn't they be recalling the manual and oil cap then?

I am also VERY happy with the Scion. Had a Accord for less than a month before the tC. Brand new. Came standard with rattles during cold temperature, flaking headlight reflector paint, celing liner collapsing.... on and on. Honda basically told me to go screw myself.

Going from that car to the tC felt so good.

Anyhow. As I said, all my complaints are gone after the oil change. Only thing that worries me now is the filter I picked. It seem to me like bosch isn't liked very much here.

quote:

Only thing that worries me now is the filter I picked. It seem to me like bosch isn't liked very much here.

Bosch is a good filter. I've run one on my 2005 Toytoa and it did fine. I cut it open and no worries.

They are just a little too much $$ when you can get a Supertech for 1/2 the price. Both are made by the same folks and for 5k or 6mo OCI, your fine.

Take care and enjoy the TC!

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Well, it's something with Bosch having this thingy called clicker bypass valve. Which engine do you have in your 2005? Do we use the same bosch 3311 filter?

quote:

Well, it's something with Bosch having this thingy called clicker bypass valve. Which engine do you have in your 2005? Do we use the same bosch 3311 filter?

Hi,

I have a Corolla which uses the smaller filter than the 2.4l (I have a 1.8l) but have used the "approved" filter that you use.

Alot of folks make a big deal over this filter over that. I've found and proved over the years if you use what is recommended and change it like your going to do, you'll have no problems at all.

If your real concerned on what filter to use, just go on ebay and pick up some Toyota brand OEM filters for under $4 shipped when you buy 10-12.

The GTX is a fine oil (I've got some in my car right now
grin.gif
) and will protect as well as any other oil!
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

ah ok. Thanks Bill.

This is actually the first time I used GTX in any of my cars. It's always been either Havoline or Valvoline in the past when it comes to dino oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back