What's up with Toyota's 1GR-FE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the owner of an '06 4Runner with the 1GR-FE V6, I have been trying to keep up with the posted UOAs on this engine. It looks like these engines may have some issues - especially with elevated levels of lead. I believe fuel dilution is also an issue. The UOAs certainly don't look like what I would expect from a typical Toyota engine.

I've read up a little bit, and it certainly appears as if Toyota did their homework on this relatively new engine and designed it for the long haul, but the UOAs say otherwise in some instances.

I have less than 5K miles on the vehicle, so I will wait to have a UOA, and I will probably use Terry's services. I am just wondering whether anyone has a lot of trouble-free miles on this engine or some other comment to help ease my concern.

Darn- I should've had a (4.7L) V8!

Don't mess with your airfilter and everything will be alright. I bought two 06's with this engine. I decided on this engine specifically because of the engineering that went into it and the fact that it has a timing chain. THere are alot more lub ricated parts in this than say the previous 3.4 v-6.

Go to Pg 25 and read down for some decent information on the engine. Also look at thehournal and rod bearing designs.

I've wondered the same exact thing about the resin-coated pistons, but I haven't been able to find out exactly what the resin is made of. As far as the lead goes, I assumed that it is present as part of the alloy. However, at least a few of the UOAs that I saw where lead was really high were from the southeast U.S.

Over the last year or so, there have been a number of UOAs from the SE U.S. that showed elevated lead. Some have speculated that leaded gas may be the problem in some cases.

that's a lot chain. I'd be a little concerned about the waterpassage way "bore" between the cylinders. If it were to leak, could spell a silent doom.

Schmoe - My guess is that it's way around the known problems with siamesed cylinders. Unless there's a crack or porosity in the casting I don't see how it would be as likely to leak as a head gasket.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I wonder what that "resin" piston skirt coating is and what it shows in a UOA as it wears...

PTFE ("Teflon")?

My guess is something like the Dow/Molykote dry lubes and coatings. Moly or something else with a "resin" binder.
dunno.gif

427Z06 - the 4.0L showed up in 2003 with the new 4Runner.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I wonder where the lead is coming from? The link Bryanccfshr provided shows aluminum bearing inserts being used. And I wonder what that "resin" piston skirt coating is and what it shows in a UOA as it wears...

Yes the bearings are an aluminum alloy but they like many aluminum bearings do have a small percent of lead in them.

I bought a 06 Tundra with the 4.7 V8. My neighbor has a 05 Tundra with the 1GR-FE V6 the one thing I really notice is the when ridding in his it that it not as smooth as the V8. Vibration going down the highway is much more pronounced with the 4.0 1GR-FE V6. I kind of wonder how much of a role the much longer stoke (higher piston speed) of the 4.0 V6 plays in the UOA.

I wonder where the lead is coming from? The link Bryanccfshr provided shows aluminum bearing inserts being used. And I wonder what that "resin" piston skirt coating is and what it shows in a UOA as it wears...

The new 03 4Runner started with that V6 and the 4.7 V8. The V6 is the high tec engine, 4.7 is the sure thing engine. My 03 has the V8.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
The new 03 4Runner started with that V6 and the 4.7 V8. The V6 is the high tec engine, 4.7 is the sure thing engine. My 03 has the V8.

I am praying that the V6 becomes a "sure thing engine" too. Because Toyota is using it in the 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra and the new FJ Cruiser, they must have great confidence in it. A shorter stroke 3.5L version (2GR-FE) is also being used in the new RAV4, Avalon, and I believe the new Camry and some Lexus offerings.

The 1GR-FE is also being used around the globe in Hilux trucks, Prados and LC 120s.

When I bought it, I never really thought about the V8. My wife got into an accident and totaled our previous vehicle, and I needed to replace it in a hurry. She decided on the 4Runner after test driving it, and I just went out and bought it pretty quickly.

After having more time to reflect, I realized that I should've strongly considered buying the well-proven V8. Oh well!

I thought the V6 was interesting when I was looking at a new 4Runner, but opted for a well proven engine, the V8. The V6 has turned out to be a very good engine. My brother has one in a Tundra, no problems, and he does oil changes on a hit and miss schedule. He knows there is an engine under the hood but the only thing he can identify for sure, besides the engine itself, is the battery. If you're buying a vehicle that offers any version of the Toyota V8, it's a sure thing choice.

Got 75k miles on an -03 4Runner, the V-6 engine has been bulletproof and economical. No UOA's.

You wouldn't get the 21+ mpg with the 8.

Had the 8 in an -02 Tundra. Bulletproof, easy on oil, but had wicked piston-slap in the cold.

The V-6 hasn't exhibited any piston-slap.

The engine mngmt in the 8 was lacking as well.

I never said the V6 was lacking, just that the V8 was a sure thing. In a few more years we'll see how the V6 does, so far, it's been great in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back