What's up with Pennzoil Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider the Pennzoil Oil line second to only king Mobil 1 :)but they are really taking their time with updating the PDS for Ultra. Ultra is a [censored] good oil. Great results on the SEQ IIIG.

I'd like to see an Ultra 0w20 and 0w30.

Agreed, seems like a really good suite of oils with really poor overall availability right now
frown.gif

They said in the FAQ, or at least hinted at it, that 0W-20 should be available at the retail level in 4th quarter 2011. Maybe we'll start seeing it soon.

It surprises me also that it's taken so long for Pennzoil to get 0W-20 more widely available. Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 is typically available here-and-there, but that's been about it for SOPUS.

I looked at the Q&A again. They said 0W-20 would be available "sometime in 2011". They're cutting it close, and I wouldn't bet against them missing their target date.

Interested. Would the Ultra 0w20 meet fords wssm2c945A for the 5w20? Is there anything in the ford spec that goes beyond ILSAC GF-5 for the 2.3DOHC Duratec? ILSAC minimum performance is poor compared to ACEA spec for A5/B5. I have the old 5w30 WSS spec in PDF format; I can't ssem to find a source for the new spec. Ultra meeting the wss for a 20 weight could cut open a big slice of pie for this oil in the north. (O.K. a little slice this is BITOG and the rest of the world only thinks Mobil 1 when thinking premium oil. Too Bad.)

They had PU Euro 5W40 more than a year ago but nobody can find it anywhere other than online. Some Walmart's don't even carry any PU, if the biggest retailer doesn't carry more popular grades, then the 0Wxx will be hard to market.

I believe Pennzoil (SOPUS, really) has very tight marketing budgets. This means they can't afford to pay for extra shelf space at major retailers to display their new products (such as PU 5w-40). Shelf space is limited, so whoever (Mobil, Castrol) pays more for it gets it.

An alternative would be to pull some of the existing products and replace them with these new Pennzoil products, but grades such as 5w-40 or 0w-30 are considered niche products, so putting them on the shelf instead of more common (and higher selling) 5w-30 or 5w-20 grades just doesn't make any business sense.

Where can i get Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20? Id give that a shot in aunt's car.

Bought Supertech 5W-20 today, XOM
21.gif

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
snd unfortunately still no SN PU

No SN PU? I dont think i like PU anymore.

There seems to be a real problem with PU. Its almost like Walmart AND Pennzoil dont like it.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Where can i get Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20? Id give that a shot in aunt's car.

Bought Supertech 5W-20 today, XOM
21.gif

I've seen quite a few posts that QSUD 0W-20 can be had at Big Lots for $3.99 qt. It's the SM spec. I have personally seen it at Ollie's for the same price.

I just started buying some 5W-30 Ultra for the Subaru Outbacks

The rebates are pretty good...but finding the Ultra is not easy.

It does seem like a good oil... SOPUS really should support it

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
snd unfortunately still no SN PU

No SN PU? I dont think i like PU anymore.

There seems to be a real problem with PU. Its almost like Walmart AND Pennzoil dont like it.

Yes there is SN PU out. Just got a 5-qt jug today at Wal-Mart. Plus there's a $5 mail-in rebate (in the form of a WM gift card) and you're allowed two. Good until the end of the year.

The 5W-30 I got is also A5/B5 in addition to being SN

Rebate link:
http://www.shellrebatecenter.com/pzltradeup

Pics of the back of the bottle (5-quart jug)
6360589303_11fbdf305d_b.jpg

6360588615_32289a207b_b.jpg

FWIW, I also have a bottle made in July 7, 2011 that was still SM but claimed to already meet GF-5 standards. However, there was no ACEA on it.

So the SN must be *very* recent for Pennzoil Ultra.

It is. Cool. Ultra is a very very good synthetic. In some ways better than M1.

No 0w20/30 or extended drain warranty though. No MRV #'s either. Actually as of now, they don't have a PDS. LOL

I wonder if the SN version of PU will show the high moly content that PYB currently has? I suppose if it already met the SN requirements then there will be no change, still something interesting to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back