What's up with oil prices lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to drop off a prescription at Wally World yesterday and while I was waiting for it to be filled I decided to stroll through the automotive stuff. Looking at the oil I noticed something I hadn't notice before. I buy Havoline dino in the 5 qt jugs for my vehicles and I noticed the price has gone from $6.xx to $8.xx, and increase of about $2.00 per 5 qt jug. That's more than a 30% increase! It wan't just the Havoline either. The price of ALL oil seemed to be up considerably. What is going on?

Old prices were based on $40 crude oil, crude has been high $50's to $60 for a while.

So the raw material costs for the oil has increased. Unfortunately that causes the finished price to go up too.

Whether the price increase is only due to raw materials or other causes I think we may never know.

Just when I was getting excited to buy low-priced Havoline at Walmart and not have to worry about finding oil on sale, they raise the prices. Back to the sales ads!

Kragen still has Chevron for .49 qt. after rebate

grin.gif

When crude oil, base stocks, and chemical additives go up, the retail price of oil will go up.

As of Feb 1, 2006, Amsoil retail prices will be going up again. This makes the 3rd time within about 1 year.

Not only that but you have the increased cost of transportation and overhead. That truck that was paying less than $2.00 for diesel last year is now paying $2.50 and passing the costs on to you. It costs Wally World more to keep the lights and heat on in the stores as well as the distribution center. Again, the cost is passed on to you.

I have had suppliers raise raw PAO prices 4 times in the last 18 months.

Transportation costs have risen on these attached fuel cost riders as well.

So of course, finished oil products are going to be more costly.

GII and GPIII this year have had monthly increases
that has slowed but additives continue at a 5-8% increase rate.

GPII sl/sm oil last year cost 1.85 gallon to make now is 2.40 or so a 30 Plus % increase.
bruce

That doesn't mean you can't find a decent SM GF4 rated oil for $1 per Qt.

The trick is to stock up when you see a closeout or advantage power buy/sale.

I noticed Wal-Mart's brand (Supertech) is only $5.xx for a 5 qt jug and I believe it is SM GF4. Is it any good and who makes it?

OMG, not the SuperTech discussion again. Click on the "Search" button and type in SuperTech. Hint: depending on where you live, SuperTech is either made by Exxon Mobile or Warren Performance Products (Warren Distribution Inc.). I think we've talked about this 20 times in the last couple of months, so bear with me.

The oil prices at WalMart went up months ago too. Old news.

Local W/M has both types. 10/40, 15/40 20/50 are all WPP products. 5/30, and 10/30 are the XOM looking jugs.

Running 10/40 in my sons' 94 GC 3.3, this is post ARX rinse. Hoping to get a handle on 1200 mile/qt. oil burning. If after 3000 miles, burning oil is still an issue, I'll do another ARX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back