What's up with hood scoops on pickup trucks??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of hood scoops on trucks??? Non-functional of course. It seems about 70% of the trucks around here have them. Since moving to WV about four years ago..I guess I had gotten used to it. Had a friend visit from Phoenix, and he said “What's up with all these pickup's with hood scoops”. They are ususally the low profile, type with a left and right scoop. Personally I think they look comical. It's mostly the domestic trucks with them. Probably Ford Ranger's the most popular followed by Dodge, and Ford fullsize. I do realize some truck's come with them from the factory, I guess you have no choice with that. Do alot of trucks where you live have them????

Can't say I've seen many around here. I guess it's the latest "cool truck." When I drive my old Dakota I am reminded of that song "I was country before country was cool." I was pickup before pickup was cool.

John

Well, I live in Texas and I'd say only a few percent of trucks here have hood scoops. Those that do tend to be functional (sport trucks like the Ram SRT-10, Ford Lightning, Ram SS/T, etc.) I don't think I've ever seen one on a real working truck.

Last edited:
C'mon, you KNOW it makes them look tough!

Even the ones on the 4-Runner make me laugh because they do NOTHING. I don't have an explanation for the one on the Ram SRT-10 since there is no intercooler under the hood. It may be to help hot air evacuate, but I kinda thought that was the job of the air entering the nose.

As for all the posers gluing them to the hoods of Rangers, etc...they're compensating for something that shall remain nameless.

Their "four banger"?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Well, I live in Texas and I'd say only a few percent of trucks here have hood scoops. Those that do tend to be functional (sport trucks like the Ram SRT-10, Ford Lightning, Ram SS/T, etc.) I don't think I've ever seen one on a real working truck.

I agree. Since moving here from Texas four years ago, it does seem like there alot more here. Especially since Texas is pretty much the truck capital of the US. Seems like the only hood scoops in TX were on the custom, lowrider type trucks.

These are the types that want the look and are either to stupid or un-willing to pay the money for the proper hood.

Lets see, $20 hood scoop or $800 hood with the scoop built in with functionality..

Along with the dumb hood scoops, I can't stand seeing all the cars with glued on port holes. Some people don't have taste.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
With the "accessory" crowd I'm pretty sure you could make/sell anything for truck (or car) and they'd buy it. Just look at the JC Whitney catalog.

Ya I guess the economy is not so bad...people still buying bolt on junk, or stick on, for their cars.

My all-time favorite is a Civic with a really ugly and over-done ground effects kit glued / riveted on the car before it is painted to match. Add a HUGE f*rt-can muffler, a super-high Easter-basket style spoiler, steel wheels with the original Honda hubcaps, and you have the offical car of the Dallas ghetto. Extra points allotted for an Si-R sticker on the trunk, even if the car is actually a DX.

There was a company that made functional and subtle aftermarket hoods for Wranglers. It actually had the vents in the low pressure area back a bit from front of the hood. They weren't that much different than the OEM.

Most have to show the new part ..and the parted money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back