What's up with gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time midgrade was $0.10 more than regular and premium was $0.20 more than regular. Since later this summer here in NW NJ midgrade is running about $0.24 more and premium is $0.38 than regular
shocked.gif
. If I do a 50/50 mixture of regular and premium it comes out $0.05 less per gallon than using straight midgrade plus the octane level is higher, 90 vs 89. Have any of you noticed the jump in price differences between regular and midgrade and premium?

Whimsey

We're getting ripped off big time up here, they keep sneaking up the price difference between regular and premium! For many years the price for premium was ten cents per liter more than regular (and that's a big enough rip off since that worked out to 38 cents more per gallon!), then they snuck it up to 12 cents difference. Now most places charge between 15-18 cents more for premium! For a while I was buying the gas for my Corvette from the 7-11 gas station near my house since they only charged 11 cents more per liter for premium, but the other day I was there filling up the Civic and noticed they now bumped premium up another 5 cents, so it's now 16 cents more! So I'm back to using Shell premium in the Vette, since it's 15 cents more (and is probably a lot higher quality gas too!)

FWIW, we are now paying $1.25 a liter here right now, which works out to $4.73 a gallon!!!

Most stations in So Cal, where I passed through the most, have 10 cents more for mid grade and another 10 cents for premium (91 Octane in CA). But the 2 stations near my house, Chevron and Mobil, have 8 cents more for mid grade and another 8 cents for premium.

Same here sometimes mid-grade is 10 sense more sometimes 15 cents. Last time I filled up regular 87 was 3.39 a gallon and mid-grade 89 was 3.51 that was last Friday and the prices haven't changed since then.

Most stations around here run between 12 to 15 cents more for mid grade and almost always 30 cents more for premium. Seems like it's always been around that much more for it here.

A few of the overpriced stations will always ask around 20 cents more for mid grade though. The worst one, which would be the most convenient station for me to fill up at, wanted 44 cents more for premium and regular was already priced 15 cents higher than down the road.

There's one station in town that usually has about lowest price for regular and at times will drop mid grade to only 8 cents more.

If I pump 15 gallons of 89 octane that's 10 gallons of 87 and 5 gallons of 93 (right?). Anymore than 10 cents for 89 and mixing 93 with regular would be cheaper.
Too bad you can't just select 93, pump a few gallons, then select 87 and have it switch to that in the same transaction on the blending pumps.

as of tonight when i filled up with shell premium, midgrade (89 with 10% Ethanol) was 3.59 and premium was 3.89. Regular was 10 cents less than midgrade. The station is an high traffic location near my house so i always fill up there. for the longest time they where the same way of 10 cents more per grade you went up, and over the last 5 months have been sneaking prem up bit by bit.

In Florida, its as screwed as New Jersey. Premium is sometimes .50 more a gallon. The prices are all over the place on the pumps, alot of gas stations will have the lowest priced Regular gas, but have a higher priced premium, than the station with higher regular but lower premium. I wonder is its because of the coastal region and alot of higher income homes, with more high priced cars that demand premium fuel, so they jack up the price of premium gas to make more profit. You can go on a website and view the prices of gas in your area stations to insure you get the best pric on gas, if you need premium, becuase the stations dont always list premium prices on the roadside stands.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Well gas is a big rip off anyway. You would think that with millions out of work the price would be lower........
Originally Posted By: bruno
I live in NJ and don't see anything like the pricing you describe ?

Which is exactly what's going on in the South. Florida is $3.22 for regular.

I filled up my Si which requires Premium for $3.42 last night.

Drove through South Carolina last week and regular was $3.08

I paid $3.24/gallon at kroger gas station. needs to drop below 2.50 imho the way the economy is. when the economy ever gets strong again, I fear the regular $4/gallon for regular gas.

Originally Posted By: bruno
I live in NJ and don't see anything like the pricing you describe ?

I'm in Sussex county, where are you in NJ? It's the same at all the gas stations I pass, whether it's name brand or convenience store like QuickChek. This happened over night during midish summer. One day midgrade was $0.10 more than regular and the next day when I went to fill up it was $0.24 more
shocked.gif
!

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Artem
Florida is $3.22 for regular.

I do not see any gas at that price in Miami-Dade or Broward County..The cheapest I see is $3.37 for regular..Most stations are higher then that.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Well gas is a big rip off anyway. You would think that with millions out of work the price would be lower........

Not going to happen. Oil companies (and all those along the chain) want to keep profits up. Selling less means that they need to keep the price high to keep profits up. Also why buying more fuel efficient cars won't reduce your gas bill long term. You will pay more for less gas. It will still cost you $75 to fill up your car, you'll just be buying less gas.

Another thing that goes on in these coastal communities is the jacking of prices for special events, especially bike week and they know the bikers only run premium(like it makes a difference). Tonight I got gas, regular 3.34, mid-grade was 3.51 and premium 3.69, that was just one station though, the gas prices are litterally all over the place. Ive seen a .12 spread in two miles. Its crazy.

I'm paying right around $3.50 for premium 93oct here. The thing that really gets me heatd is that the price of oil shoots up, gas prices shoot up. Oil prices come down (below $80 a barrel now) and the gas prices don't drop hardly at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back