What's this number for?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
There's a number stamped into the cross member at the front of the Camry's engine bay. Does anyone know what it means, what it's for? I've seen similar stampings on other cars.

Toyota Number on Bar.jpg

Funny as a rubber crutch in a polio ward ...

Well in my defense I am a bit of a smarty pants - I really can't help it, you can just ask my wife - FWIW it does not appear to be associated with the part number of either the upper tie bar or complete radiator support - at least based on current part numbers.

Looks to me to be the serial number for the year, probably matches a section of the vin if you compare. 76,988 chassis down the line for the year and that plant.

Or its the number for you use to call the beast. Could be that too.

If it's an airplane it's the part number. Apparently every part in an airplane has a part number and they all seem to be stamped just like that. The cynic in me says it's so in the event of a part falling off or only a few parts ever found, the investigators will know for sure what they've found.

I don't think it's a serial number, that's too commonly replaced of a part for a body serial number.

Check your VIN and that may match some of the digits. Seems to be a common thing now for some purpose (theft tracking, chop shop parts tracking, etc.).

Also side note for a California car thats quite a bit of corrosion on some of the fasteners and the exhaust heat shield in your pic.

Check your VIN and that may match some of the digits. Seems to be a common thing now for some purpose (theft tracking, chop shop parts tracking, etc.).

Also side note for a California car thats quite a bit of corrosion on some of the fasteners and the exhaust heat shield in your pic.
From someone who works on the line:

"It's just a number they use to identify the truck when they're built. no meaning besides that from my understanding. When a core support is replaced there is no number on the new part from Toyota, so seeing that number typically means that has never been replaced."

I don't think it was a California car originally, so there is a bit of rust here and there. I may deal with it over time, but right now it's a low priority.

Back