Whats the verdict on Castrol edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gurney
Originally Posted By: ABomb369
I just picked up 7qts of this stuff from AZ at the $4.99 price. If it wasn't on sale I would have never touched the stuff but since it was on sale I am curious to see how it will run in my GTO compared to M1.

If Castrol would have sold this stuff as "Castrol Syntec Edge" or "Castrol Syntec Advanced" and marketed it for it's 15,000 mile OCI and for the new Mfr specs it meets and sold it for the same price point as M1 EP I might have taken this product more serious.

Heck, I might of even been ok with them saying it has "X times better wear than their standard Syntec". At least this may have convinced some regualar Syntec user's to switch but charging a SUPER premium price for this oil and telling me to "Think with my Dipstick" just isn't going to cut it.

Just my $0.02

Yep. Did you ask the sales clerk to put it in a plain brown bag?

No, but that would have been a good idea. I just put my head down and hoped nobody recognized me or the gold bottles.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: hpichris
I'm speechless. Lol.
I have 5 quarts of 0W-40 Mobil 1 AFE
6 quarts of Mobil 5000 Clean 5W-30
6 quarts of Formula Shell 5W-30
4 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W-30

and I thought that was crazy.

HA! Read my sig file.....

John

Originally Posted By: ABomb369
...At least this may have convinced some regular Syntec users to switch, but charging a SUPER premium price for this oil and telling me to "Think with my Dipstick" just isn't going to cut it.

Just my $0.02

Totally agree. Pathetic incompetence!
Some program manager, along with his 'tiger team' of suck up advisers, needs to get canned!

The US Edge campaign has been an utter marketing failure. The Beavis and Butthead level "Think with your dipstick," in conjunction with the standard adolescent hot-rod advertising, isn't going to convince anyone with half a brain to pay a premium for 'just another synthetic oil.'

Do I dare hope that the oil industry will take notice, and make semi-intelligent ads next time?
LOL! Not a chance!
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
The US Edge campaign has been an utter marketing failure. The Beavis and Butthead level "Think with your dipstick," in conjunction with the standard adolescent hot-rod advertising, isn't going to convince anyone with half a brain to pay a premium for 'just another synthetic oil.

+++

I use Syntec in my GTI and, even if they made a VW-approved grade for it, I couldn't bring myself to use Edge simply because of how obnoxious the advertising is.

I really can't figure out who they think they're marketing to, using some jacked-up Scottish git screaming "Think with yer dipstick, Jimmy!" and whipping everyone on their legs. I'm baffled.

"it could be right in line with other high quality synthetics like Redline"
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
Sorry but there is no way in [censored] thats even close to being true.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'd say castrol gets Edged out by Redline and Amsoil-but that's pretty tough competition.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Yes sir...

I have in my collection:

32 Jugs of 5L - Valvoline White Bottle Dino 5W30
15 Jugs of 4L - Quaker State Peak performance 5W30 & 10W30
8 Jugs of 4.4L - Shell Rotella T Syn 5W40
3 Jugs of 4L - Mobil 1 TDT 5w40
1 Jug of 5L - Mobil 1 5w20
10 Jugs of 4L - Amsoil ASL 5w30
6 bottles of 1L - Amsoil SSO 0w30
2 Jugs of 4L - Renewable Lubricants 5w30
2 Jugs of 4L - Pennzoil Platinum
1 Jug of 4L - Motomaster Syn 5w50

And I would guess another 5 Litres of miscellaneous left over engine oils for lawn equipment etc.

Plus I have a ton of Amsoil ATF fluid.

27.gif
IT'S ALL MINE YOU HEAR!!!! MINE!!!!!!
LOL.gif

I bet you spend a lot of 'quality time' with yr stash !
Yes, quality time counting it....over & over & over...

Is it in garage or shrine ?

I believe it. I believe you brew yourself a hot cup of coffee and sit in your garage staring at your lovely stash of oil. We need pictures BTW

Yeah, having 532 quarts of oil in one's garage is pretty crazy.

532 X $6/qt = $3192

These same people tell me that the performance increases I feel in my car from GC are all in my head.

I believe it. I believe you brew yourself a hot cup of coffee and sit in your garage staring at your lovely stash of oil. We need pictures BTW

I keep my stash on a shelf directly behind me so I can easily turn around and admire it.

Oddly enough, I don't!
LOL.gif

I will take pictures and put them up when I have some time. Gotta borrow my friends wide angle camera!
LOL.gif

I have about 1500 more miles to go in my 10,000 miles test of Castrol Edge. I will then do a UOA.

So far nothing bad to report. My gas mileage has been very good. I have not had to add any oil and it does not look like it has even dropped. No weird noises.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Well I never said it was 'true'.....just that 'it could be'. I am a big fan of Redline but I am not so loyal to any oil that I make decisions before I see factual data. As far as I know not a single viable long-term OCI with an oil analysis has been completed yet....so why dismiss this oil so out of hand???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back