Whats the verdict on Castrol edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up some of this for my tundra at autozone for 4.99 a quart, its on sale right now but it wasnt advertised. whats everyones opinion on this stuff?

I'm waiting to see when they come out with a 5w-20. I'll try it for sure then. It may be expensive, but if it's a true PAO base and has a great add pack it could be right in line with other high quality synthetics like Redline.

I have used it in my Corolla since new, 3 years and 40000 miles grade 5W-30. Engine runs as new and is very clean as far as I can see and has not used a drop between oci. I do change at 3000 miles as the oil is half the price of Mobil 1 and is frequently on offer.
Roger

I couldn't avoid buying 5 quarts of Syntec 5W-30 for my Honda today. It was 25 bucks with a Purolator Pureone filter. Also Purolator has a rebate on the filter. So it made it 23 bucks for everything.....Was going to try Edge but this deal was too good.

Better oils to be had for the money if buying it at their regular price. For the price you got it at, it's a good deal.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Better oils to be had for the money if buying it at their regular price. For the price you got it at, it's a good deal.

grin2.gif

lol. Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase. :D I've never been much of a deal seeker until recently when I realized I could be saving all this money and do oil changes on 4 cars for the reg. cost of 2 cars. :) Keeps my car hobby alive and kicking.

You have the BITOG disease!
LOL.gif

You just need to hoard some oil and build a big stash like the rest of us... I have over 200 Quarts in total! MUHAHAHAHA

Originally Posted By: StevieC
You have the BITOG disease!
LOL.gif

You just need to hoard some oil and build a big stash like the rest of us... I have over 200 Quarts in total! MUHAHAHAHA

Shut up! Are you serious?

Yes sir...

I have in my collection:

32 Jugs of 5L - Valvoline White Bottle Dino 5W30
15 Jugs of 4L - Quaker State Peak performance 5W30 & 10W30
8 Jugs of 4.4L - Shell Rotella T Syn 5W40
3 Jugs of 4L - Mobil 1 TDT 5w40
1 Jug of 5L - Mobil 1 5w20
10 Jugs of 4L - Amsoil ASL 5w30
6 bottles of 1L - Amsoil SSO 0w30
2 Jugs of 4L - Renewable Lubricants 5w30
2 Jugs of 4L - Pennzoil Platinum
1 Jug of 4L - Motomaster Syn 5w50

And I would guess another 5 Litres of miscellaneous left over engine oils for lawn equipment etc.

Plus I have a ton of Amsoil ATF fluid.

27.gif
IT'S ALL MINE YOU HEAR!!!! MINE!!!!!!
LOL.gif

I'm speechless. Lol.
I have 5 quarts of 0W-40 Mobil 1 AFE
6 quarts of Mobil 5000 Clean 5W-30
6 quarts of Formula Shell 5W-30
4 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W-30

and I thought that was crazy.

I just picked up 7qts of this stuff from AZ at the $4.99 price. If it wasn't on sale I would have never touched the stuff but since it was on sale I am curious to see how it will run in my GTO compared to M1.

If Castrol would have sold this stuff as "Castrol Syntec Edge" or "Castrol Syntec Advanced" and marketed it for it's 15,000 mile OCI and for the new Mfr specs it meets and sold it for the same price point as M1 EP I might have taken this product more serious.

Heck, I might of even been ok with them saying it has "X times better wear than their standard Syntec". At least this may have convinced some regualar Syntec user's to switch but charging a SUPER premium price for this oil and telling me to "Think with my Dipstick" just isn't going to cut it.

Just my $0.02

Originally Posted By: hpichris
I'll need to steal a [censored] semi first. lol.
crackmeup2.gif
No it should fit in a Cube-van.
thumbsup2.gif
I have my Semi-license if you need...

Originally Posted By: ABomb369
I just picked up 7qts of this stuff from AZ at the $4.99 price. If it wasn't on sale I would have never touched the stuff but since it was on sale I am curious to see how it will run in my GTO compared to M1.

If Castrol would have sold this stuff as "Castrol Syntec Edge" or "Castrol Syntec Advanced" and marketed it for it's 15,000 mile OCI and for the new Mfr specs it meets and sold it for the same price point as M1 EP I might have taken this product more serious.

Heck, I might of even been ok with them saying it has "X times better wear than their standard Syntec". At least this may have convinced some regualar Syntec user's to switch but charging a SUPER premium price for this oil and telling me to "Think with my Dipstick" just isn't going to cut it.

Just my $0.02

Yep. Did you ask the sales clerk to put it in a plain brown bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back