whats the story on oil bath wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been eyeballing these conversion kits that convert trailer hubs to oil bath. basically they are simply a nultilipped axle seal, and a clear hubcap with a filler hole. for what you get it seems expensive at prices only starting around $50 per hub, but going way, wayyy up from there.
i was thinking if building my own oil bath setup by buying new multilipped axle seals and installing a drainplug on my current hubcaps. the cheap universal atf pan drainplug kits come to mind. they are like $2-3 at a parts store.
what do ya guys think of my idea? oil bath seems interesting to me, but not at the prices currently being asked.

As long as your seal mating surfaces are in good condition and you will pay attention to them and add a sight window, they should work.

Pro:
1. The hub will run a bit cooler and the bearings will be a bit better lubricated than with grease.

2. If you put a window in the hub cap, you will be able to judge oil condition such as water contamination

Con:

1. There is very little volume for oil in a hub. A small leak and you will have a dry hub.

2. Unless you put a window in the cap, you won't know what condition the oil is in. Water, other contamination, etc.

The military has gone back and forth on some of their tracked vehicle hubs. Oil is better if properly maintained, grease is better if poorly maintained or the hub is damaged.

If the Army has periodically given up on them because they were problamatic with vehicle crews instructed to check them daily, they definitely aren't ready fof Joe Sixpack.

I'm definitely not saying you're Joe Sixpack, but you should be ready to check them each day you use the trailer.

Quote:

Unless you're looking for playtoy/project, pack 'em every couple years and forget 'em.

Bob

You said that much more succinctly than I did.
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif

Oil bath bearings are a pain.

I remember more than one eighteen wheeler shedding their wheels due to no oil.

You cannot always see through the sight glass. The only way to really be sure is too remove the rubber plug and stick your finger in. Often times the rubber plug disintegrates due to old age and/or cold weather. Oil leaks can go unnoticed due to wet and muddy conditions.

Bearing Buddies are nice if your size is available.

Use the system ---- made.
Installing oils seals for the gear oil type is scary, and they damage easy.
Just pack the ones that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back