Whats the recommened oil for a 2gr-fe with the famous piston slap noise when cold?

2008 sienna with piston slap on cold start and for about the first 15 min of driving then goes away. Got an extremely good deal on the van what oil is recommended for this noise? I was thinking a touch thicker like 5w 40 or should I just put 5w30 in it and try to ignore the sound? There's no codes and has

My 5.3 has a bit of it only when its below 40f and if goes away. At 50f its almost non existent but its not a detriment which is a good thing. My 6.0 and 6.2 are completely unnafected. Thicker oil did reduce it a bit but its not guaranteed but try it. Order some quaker state 5w-40 on walmart.com since its under $16 a jug and it disappeared for a while then came back but snag some before its gone again. This time its even cheaper than before.

The ‘07 Rav4 I service has used pp5w30 from day one. 120k and runs strong, Owners manual and oil cap both call for 5w30.

I also use OEM cartridge filters. They are not very restrictive I’m told. Don’t know if that helps the cold temp piston slap or not.

2008 sienna with piston slap on cold start and for about the first 15 min of driving then goes away. Got an extremely good deal on the van what oil is recommended for this noise? I was thinking a touch thicker like 5w 40 or should I just put 5w30 in it and try to ignore the sound? There's no codes and has
So you're saying the engine makes that tick/knock sound for a full 15 minutes after cold start? If so, either it's a severe case of piston slap, or it's something else. I've never heard of piston slap lasting that long. Worst case of piston slap I've heard of is, the noise lasts 4-5 minutes after cold start.
To answer your question, I would try 10w30.

So you're saying the engine makes that tick/knock sound for a full 15 minutes after cold start? If so, either it's a severe case of piston slap, or it's something else. I've never heard of piston slap lasting that long. Worst case of piston slap I've heard of is, the noise lasts 4-5 minutes after cold start.
This.

Back