What's the point of "Similar threads" below new topics?

Just looking at it now and 4 of the 5 threads last had posts in 2016 and older. One back to 2012. It's one thing if you do a search and come upon a many years old topic, and revive it, but what's the point of putting them right out there where many people don't even look at the date and will revive it accidentally (or deliberately for no other reason than to be smart). And if you do, there are no shortage of people that will get on your case for doing so.

This exact "concern" or issue has been brought up just recently (and the revivals you describe are happening more, it appears).

Its got me once or twice but I'm adjusting. I think the best thing would be a confirmation box when replying to a topic that is at least a year old or something to that effect.

And yes this has been brought up several times recently.

Maybe in the software it can be set to only show old threads at the bottom that are 1 year old or less ... or whatever the Admin deems appropriate.

Maybe in the software it can be set to only show old threads at the bottom that are 1 year old or less ... or whatever the Admin deems appropriate.
Yes, we can set the date range. There have been several members who have expressed that they like to see the older threads, so we've left the date range alone.

Yes, we can set the date range. There have been several members who have expressed that they like to see the older threads, so we've left the date range alone.
Cool ... can you set it so that threads older than X are "read only" ?

We can, but it affects all threads that haven't had a post since X date.
If a thread hasn't had a new post for 1+ year, then it would become a "read only" thread - ??.

In other words, that setting would only allow people to revive and put new posts in any threads that were 1 year old or less. Seems like that would work to still allow people to read any old thread, but not revive any that are more than a year old (or whatever time period it's set to).

If a thread hasn't had a new post for 1+ year, then it would become a "read only" thread - ??.

In other words, that setting would only allow people to revive and put new posts in any threads that were 1 year old or less. Seems like that would work to still allow people to read any old thread, but not revive any that are more than a year old (or whatever time period it's set to).

I like that idea. Might make it 2 years, maybe some deliberation on that is in order, but the concept is sound and would prevent necroposting while still allowing access to what is often very valuable content. This can then be quoted in a new thread and the original referenced.

That is actually not a bad idea, IMHO.

It would keep a LOT at bay, and keep with the good manners of this place.

I like that idea. Might make it 2 years, maybe some deliberation on that is in order, but the concept is sound and would prevent necroposting while still allowing access to what is often very valuable content. This can then be quoted in a new thread and the original referenced.

I agree with you.

One thing I like about this forum is there really isn't any nonsense. Making old threads not able to be replied to.. could go a long ways to only reinforcing the here and the now of whatever is going on.

LOL what the reason for different user names we could all just post under the same name. We'd still spread the same valuable information wouldn't we!

Yes, posts older that x date would be read-only.

Back