What's the point of 5w30 and 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the point of using 5 or 10 w30 when 0w30 is available? I've made up my mind that 0w30 is the way to go year-round. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

The only reason I can think that 5 and 10 w are produced is that not all base stocks measure up to the 0 grade and it really isn't quite so necessary in warmer climates. I know 5w has very good cold weather performance but 0w is better and the latest oils don't seem to shear. I think 0w30 is the best regardless of brand. I can understand why the oil companies wouldn't want a run on 0w30 - I don't think the production capacity is quite there for that given the rationale above.

What do you guy's think?!

Well for a dino oil they need to use Pour depressants and more polymer which can shear down-leaving you with a thinner oil. So I come to the opposite conclusion (mabe incorrectly) that I will use the higher # (10W). But in Pa. I have more options to do that than you. And for Synthetic oils-No Pour point depressant or Polymer is used-so there will be no shearing down. And Mobil 1 10W-30 does not shear

I'm a 0W fan as well (in my case M1 0W40 wihich has about the same viscosity as the CG or Amsoil 0W30.

I think 5 & 10W are old school thoughts just like 3,000 mile oil change intervals. The engines have gotten much better and so have the oils IMHO. But many people have be raised on 10W and 3,000 miles changes and by golly that's what their going to stick to. You could never convince my father of anything else. So, to each their own.

DEWFPO

I personally think the 0w oils are the wave of the future. They will cost a lot more, but a shear stable 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 oil will offer the best of both worlds, you can have an oil that will run on the coldest winter day up to the hottest summer day.

Subzero,

I've been selling mostly the amsoil 0w-30 for gas engines and their Series 3000 5w-30 for diesel engines for the last eight years.

The low viscosity lubes will dominate in the next 5-10 years, even for diesel engines ....The only thing that will keep 0w-30 gas engine oils and 5w-30, HD diesel oils from taking over the market is they require the use of PAO/Ester basestocks ....Even group III's have a hard time with the 0w part.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

[ November 15, 2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

BG Motor oil?
dunno.gif
Never heard of it.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Subzero,

I've been selling mostly the amsoil 0w-30 for gas engines and their Series 3000 5w-30 for diesel engines for the last eight years.

The low viscosity lubes will dominate in the next 5-10 years, even for diesel engines ....The only thing that will keep 0w-30 gas engine oils and 5w-30, HD diesel oils from taking over the market is they require the use of PAO/Ester basestocks ....Even group III's have a hard time with the 0w part.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

that is interesting to hear. Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been running a 0w30 HDMO for about half a year now and it seems to work better than a PCMO 5w30. Oil pressure never faltered in Summer and the winter startups have been really good. I've run this oil from +30C to -25C. It's obvious Amsoil has been ahead of the curve here.

I find the oil to be more expensive than dino and about a 1/4 to 1/3 cheaper than retail consumer marketed full synthetics. Product literature states it is suitable for extended ODI and uses PAO as the base oil. It's also marketed as an all-season oil, not just for winter! Just want to debunk that myth
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I personally think the 0w oils are the wave of the future. They will cost a lot more, but a shear stable 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 oil will offer the best of both worlds, you can have an oil that will run on the coldest winter day up to the hottest summer day.

I've asked this several times before, but does anyone know anything about the BG motor oil.
It is supposed to be a ZERO weight oil and supposed to be a true SYN from what I was told when they first came out with it.... nobody seems to have tried it here.
Any feedback, good bad, who cares>???

I spent a year at the Lockheed Skunk works in Palmdale CA (the Mohave Desert), working on a propulsion project for NASA. I ran the same batch of 0w-30 synthetic that entire year, including the X-country drive from CA to AL at the end of August, with the car fully loaded. No problems and almost no oil consumption.

The analysis is posted way, way back in the UOA section ....

Tooslick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back