What's the longest OCI you've heard of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt had a Cougar which had 52,000 miles on it and the oil had only been changed once! She lived away and didn't know any better. When she moved back and I got my hands on the car I changed the oil. It came out as thin as black water. I put new oil in it and checked the dipstick. The new oil looked like it had 5k on it already. Over the years I took care of the oil changes and the engine never seemed to knock or tap. She sold it a few years ago. The original oil must have been Pennzoil dino because it had a Pennzoil filter on it from a Jiffy Lube. I think it shows Pennzoil is a decent quality oil. I wish I'd known about oil analysis back then. I bet it would have been horrible. I also know of a guy who bought a new Dodge truck and never changed the oil once and the engine blew at 57,000 miles. The guy actually thought Chrysler should replace the engine for free!

I worked at a service station the summer after I graduated HS. There was a guy there who NEVER changed his oil, in fact, he never even bought oil for his car. He'd add oil that had been drained out of other cars for oil changes. In those days, there were still many cars on the road that didn't have spin-on filters, but used cartridge filters instead. He WOULD change the cartridge every year, or so. In those years (early 1960's) detergent oil had JUST been recently been invented, AND multi-viscosity oil (10W-30) had just been introduced.

His philosophy was to buy a crap car for $100 or less, then drive it till it dropped. Remove the license plate where it dropped and abandon it. Then go buy another $100 car (or less) and drive it till it dropped.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I think there are claims on amsoils website that somebody did something insane like 430,000 miles with no oil change just changing the main filter and the bypass filter. I think it was 430K could have been 200L but still either way. They went on to say that they tore open the engine for something that was not oil related failure and still used almost all the same parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back