What's the longest OCI you have witnessed........

Status
Not open for further replies.
without filter change? No, bypass systems don't count.
wink.gif

The reason I ask is because when I was an uninformed teenager, I had an old Monte Carlo that burned & leaked oil so badly, I just added oil when it needed it & I never changed the oil or filter in 4 years.

Are electrical transformers larger than the average house off-limits here?
grin.gif

My 1955 4-door Chevrolet Bel Air has a fill of 15-year-old Havoline 10W-30 dino oil. And a FRAM filter
rolleyes.gif

7 years...no idea how many km.

'twas my first car, and I paid $200 for it. The guy I bought it off was a little shy as he showed me the receipt for the last service, which was 7 years prior.

First stop was a service station, where I pumped up the tires, and checked the oil...nothing showing on the dipstick. Added half a litre at a time, and the first half litre took it to over-full.

Scraped two litres of sludge from the rocker box, filled the sump with kero and idled it for 10 minutes. Drained out like diff oil.

Repeated, and filled the sump with cheap noname 20W50.

Used two litres in a week...I thought that the engine was hd it when I changed it the following weekend, and repeated two litres in a week consumption.

As a test, I put good oil in (Valvoline XLD
rolleyes.gif
) and the consumption stopped.

Served me well for a few years and sold it.

a 138 c.i. straight 6 is a wonderful little engine.

My Dad taught me what NOT to do in maintaining equipment. He basically abuses stuff 'til it dies. He had a 1974 Ford Galaxie 500 that was a great car and would probably still be running today if he had given it even that mininmum of care. I think he went 3 years without an oil change and the car saw short trips 6 days a week.

my dad was a fan of the annual oil change. every year before i came along he would take his cars to the wally world and let them change the oil and filter. than he wouldnt as much as check it until one year later to the day. now that i started getting on his case about it he lets me change it maybe every 10000 to 15000 miles with cheap super tech and super tech filter.

When I worked for Pacific Telephone in the mid 1960s their policy was to not change oil on pasenger cars and 1/2 ton trucks...ever. The bean counters had showed them that it was cheaper to install a cheapy rebuilt engine ta 50k mile or so than it was to change the oil at recommended intervals.
dunno.gif

50k+ miles with just adding oil was common.

Fortunately the 1 1/2 ton line truck I drove was over that linit so it's over worked 223 in^3 engine got it's oil changed.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
grin.gif

My 1955 4-door Chevrolet Bel Air has a fill of 15-year-old Havoline 10W-30 dino oil. And a FRAM filter
rolleyes.gif

How 'bout some more info??

How does it look under the valve cover? Which engine, how many miles, etc?

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
grin.gif

rolleyes.gif

How 'bout some more info??

How does it look under the valve cover? Which engine, how many miles, etc?

20k original miles, has been in garage storage pretty much constantly since around 1960. Only driven maybe once every five years.

Needs a good paintjob, new windshield, a couple quick upholstry repairs, and some rechroming and it's good as new. Just haven't had much interest in doing anything to it, or money to do anything to it -- people my age don't tend to have a lot of spare cash, and I didn't exactly grow up with any exposure to car restoration. Come to think of it, I am pretty lost on how to proceed, what would be a good body shop, etc. to take it to.

I make no claims of the condition of its engine, however, once properly filled and primed with fuel, and a good battery installed, the car hasn't yet failed to start.

pic: click here

[ April 03, 2005, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: pitzel ]

Don't go near it.

I've watched Christine, and you could be in for serious trouble.

Chuck it on a boat and send it to Lithgow, just in case.

regards

Shannow the Exorcist

About 22 years ago, I knew somebody who bought a new Renault LeCar and never brought it in for any kind of service whatsoever for the first 20K miles. Nothing.

I was appalled. I was into 2K oil changes at that time.

This person, I later found out, was deep into substance abuse.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Pitzel,
That's a nice ride. Is it all original? Have you ever considered selling it? How rusted is it?

Yup, all-original, won't sell due to sentimental reasons. The only rust is what you see -- a bit on the trunk lid, and a few minor surface cosmetic spots. Nothing affecting the structure.

1968 VW bug purchased in 1984 with 30 k original,changed the oil to M1 10w03 and cleaned the oil screen,(no filter per say) and never changed it,sold it in 1986 with 56500 miles on it.

I don't know how long the oil was in this engine (1974 Chevrolet C10, 350cid) but it threw both the #1 and #2 rods due to lack of oil.

When I pulled the pan off the engine, the oil was like grease. I could stand a big main cap bolt in the "oil" vertical (not touching the bottom of the pan) and it would stay upright and not sink in.

quote:

Originally posted by paulo57509:
...When I pulled the pan off the engine, the oil was like grease. I could stand a big main cap bolt in the "oil" vertical (not touching the bottom of the pan) and it would stay upright and not sink in.

freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
7 years...no idea how many km.

'twas my first car, and I paid $200 for it. The guy I bought it off was a little shy as he showed me the receipt for the last service, which was 7 years prior.

First stop was a service station, where I pumped up the tires, and checked the oil...nothing showing on the dipstick. Added half a litre at a time, and the first half litre took it to over-full.

Scraped two litres of sludge from the rocker box, filled the sump with kero and idled it for 10 minutes. Drained out like diff oil.

Repeated, and filled the sump with cheap noname 20W50.

Used two litres in a week...I thought that the engine was hd it when I changed it the following weekend, and repeated two litres in a week consumption.

As a test, I put good oil in (Valvoline XLD
rolleyes.gif
) and the consumption stopped.

Served me well for a few years and sold it.

a 138 c.i. straight 6 is a wonderful little engine.

The Grey motor? Great little engine,they would run sweet as a nut with smoke pouring out the breather tube underneath.I've had red motors so slugded up I couldn't get oil into them,well,took about an hour anyway.

On the oil filter forum a few weeks ago I posted about a VN 3.8 Commodore that hadn't had an oil or filter change in atleast 8 yrs,I opened the filter and the media just fell out on the floor.

When I was a teenager who just got his license I put a Toyota van through a 29k interval.Just added a quart when the oil light came on.What did I know?
crushedcar.gif
I needed a
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TEXDOG:
pitzel, nice car but the car in the picture is a 1956 chevy!

I thought so too.
Taillights are too tall for the 55.
Good catch.
My friend's older brother used to drive us to school in a 55 Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back