"What's The Least You Will Take?"

Its a dance, you cant take it personally. Theres a lot of tire kickers and lowballers out there. I just politely decline their offer and move away. I sold my truck a month ago, had several people ask a bunch of questions and none of them had the resources to make a deal. The process of weeding them out can be tedious.
I did notice a couple of people mention "cash" to which I told them a wire transfer speaks louder than cash these days.

Its a dance, you cant take it personally. Theres a lot of tire kickers and lowballers out there. I just politely decline their offer and move away. I sold my truck a month ago, had several people ask a bunch of questions and none of them had the resources to make a deal. The process of weeding them out can be tedious.
I did notice a couple of people mention "cash" to which I told them a wire transfer speaks louder than cash these days.
Yep 100%.

As for cash, if I'm looking to purchase something from a listing I'll mention I have the cash in hand and ready to buy. Too many instances where Joe Tirekicker comes to look and says "oh I'm interested but I have to go ask my brother's uncle's cousin for the money and will be back in 10 days". Simply stating that "I have cash" is usually meaningless since that is usually the only way people will accept payment.

It works both ways in my experience. I’ve had those guys and I just ignore the message or email. No point arguing.

I also had a guy that wanted to negotiate on the chat, despite me wanting to see his motorcycle in person, as that’s really my preference. He said he didn’t want to waste time. Well the chat with him was a waste of time. After some question and answer period, he asked me to what I would offer, I gave a low offer and said it’s because, I cannot see it in person. Of course he got offended lol.

You cannot win them all.

I have had people ask that before. I don't have a problem with it. I give them an honest answer. Sold two vehicles like that.
If they offer less I just say "No thank you" and move on.
I already have a price I won't go below so I am not upset by that question.

Last month I have a very nice low mileage special edition Saturn Vue listed on FBMP for $6995. Getting a little interest, but not a whole lot. Few people know about this model and regular examples are listed for $2-4K. One serious sounding person sends this message,

I'd like to come see and drive the view. I'm 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. About 4 hours from you. Are you open to an offers of say 5500.00. I don't want to insult you or piss you off. Just asking if you are open to offers. I can see from the pics the excellent condition it's in plus all the good quality parts you put in it. I'm a wrench, so I can appreciate the good workmanship. Thank you.

I'm thinking great, another lowballer. But at least he didn't cut my price right in half like most of them do. I tell him I still have a few things to fix on it and that I'd be willing to come down some, but not all the way down to $5500. So a few weeks go by and I have it ready. He gets back to me and is still interested after I sent him more pictures. Says he wants to come 4 hours to look at it on the weekend. That's always a good sign if they come that far.

LSS, he comes by Saturday morning and takes a good long look over it as well as a 20 minute test drive and is quite impressed. Says the ones in his area are worn out with rusty frames and peeling paint. Next we get to the price. He's here. He has cash. I haven't spent anything on advertising and I've had it 4 years and want to get rid of it. I see he came alone so he didn't bring anyone to drive it back with, so I tell him, for $6000 I'll deliver it to your door sometime next week if you drop me off at the bus/train/rental place station. He agrees and gets the cash from his car and we do the paperwork. Few days later I drive it over and take a rental back home.

It's just a tactic to get you to reduce your price before they make an offer. It's a trap, and the buyer is hoping you will fall for it.

I believe haggling on a price should work like this: Seller gives a publicly offered price, buyer either pays full price or makes an offer. Seller accepts offer or makes counteroffer, etc... At any point, the offer given is in good faith and may be accepted to complete the transaction.

But if you list your item for $1000 and they say "what's your lowest price" and you say "$800", then they will probably offer $600.

My response as a seller to most questions like this is, "I believe the price I'm asking is fair, but I'm willing to listen to any offers."

The wrinkle in all this is with online marketplaces, the buyer may look at the item and not want to pay full price, but is also hesitant to make an offer without being able to inspect the item in person, yet doesn't want to deal with the hassle of a meetup if the seller is not willing to negotiate.

Well if they weren't also trying to sell stuff we can't see maybe they wouldn't be so salty. Paint protection, interior protection, special air in the tires....give me a break.
Its a profit center for the dealers and some people actually buy those things. Are they a ripoff ? I think so, but then I am not everyone. All you have to do is say NO. They cant sell you anything you dont agree to buy. If you dont want it and you say NO and you still feel pressure get up an leave. Its no more complicated than that.
I developed a relationship with a salesman many years ago (over 30) I have bought over a dozen vehicles from him over the years, my extended family and kids have bought from him. I found someone who I thought was honest and a straight shooter and I kept giving him a chance to earn my business. I usually dont even have to tell him what options I want, I give him the model, he asks what color and he e-mails me the info.

"What's The Least You Will Take?"​

hahah, Imagine asking a high school teenage girl who is waiting for a date offer a week before the prom?

"What is the least you will take," especially sight unseen, is just rude and lazy. But that's sadly what you have to expect when dealing with the public. Lowballs and lazy buyers. I try to be patient with anyone however and have given various versions of "firm price," or engage in reasonable negotiations.

As a buyer I always let them know I am serious with cash in hand or immediately available (as in, I don't carry $$$ with me but I can go straight to the bank and be back in 1/2 hour). Can generally negotiate a bit off, by engaging in discussions, asking about maintenance or issues, or whatever.

Someone asking that question does not now how to negotiate a price. He should start low but reasonable and you should counter. Both be willing to say "no thanks" and part company.

What they want to do is the "double lowball." If you're asking $4000 they'll get you down to 3600 over email then try to squeeze down to 3200 in person.

Or if you sell it to someone else in the interim, they get all huffy that "we had a deal" at 3600, and you "sold it out from under them."

I ask for people to make me an offer, then politely respond that it's less than I'd like to take now, but I'll consider them in a week if it doesn't sell by then. But I think it will sell by then, because I'm getting lots of emails, and, in fact, someone else from (next town over) is coming by in half an hour. Besides, because my ad's online, I can edit it to lower the price, and I'd be happy to message them when it happens.

When I get questions like that, I respond with a price ~20% more than my asking price. When they point it out, I tell them it's a service fee for dealing with their stupid question.

With those remarks, you will rarely sell anything. If you won't take any less than the price your posed, put FIRM, next to the price. Won't prevent all the low ball offers, but will cut them down. If you're willing to take less, tell them the bottom line price, and if they still offer something lower, tell them they already asked what was the lowest price you will take and that you answered that in the previous message. Unless this is some rare and valuable car, you can't be too choosy who you sell to.
Ihatetochangeoil said:
"Five Thousand more than you're willing to pay."
Nice job of taking me out of context. What was the next word in my post? "Seriously." Evidently, you have the inability to detect humor/sarcasm. Please, just leave me alone and I'll return the favor.

Back