What's the flavor of the month - Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 1/4 left in our gallon jug of FP. We've used FP as well as Schaeffers #131 - Neutra.

It's been awhile bitogers. Seems like MMO is the new flavor of the month but for all you old schoolers out there, what are you guys using as a additive for your fuel.

Ordering some Amsoil gear oil online, and while I've recall reading good things online about Amsoil PI, $ per oz, I would probably opt for FP or Neutra.

Thought's, suggestions?

What have you seen pablo? I have used it and liked it, but wont mail order it. I saw about 1MPG increase in my old ranger that was neglected when purchased.

Amsoil Action news has a writeup from a Motorcycle shop that uses it.

One thing I dislike is a bottle only treat 20 gallons

Last edited:
Why flavor of the month? N131,FP,Techron,Toyota BRand,Redine Si-1,Lucas UCL and the like all work it is a mater of preference and how concentrated you want the product.

No problems to cure. Use it primarily on a maint. dosage level . Not measure mpg gains...moreso as a lubricity to the fuel with slight cleaning properties.

Amsoil PI is the best shock cleaner when used strong. I've seen it smooth out idle and running, and boost MPG 1-3 mpg. It's not really made for light doses, IMHO.

Redline is probably a good maint. add, but I've never felt or seen any benefit from Redline in the old days, even 2-3 bottles. I know they changed their formula.

There is no tank additive that will clean cc's by adding a few ounces. Period.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil PI is the best shock cleaner when used strong. I've seen it smooth out idle and running, and boost MPG 1-3 mpg. It's not really made for light doses, IMHO.

Redline is probably a good maint. add, but I've never felt or seen any benefit from Redline in the old days, even 2-3 bottles. I know they changed their formula.

There is no tank additive that will clean cc's by adding a few ounces. Period.

Interesting when I used PI it did absolutely nothing. I used a whole bottle for one 15 gallon tank.
21.gif

Gumout All in One was BOGO last time I went to Advance Auto, so that works out to $5 per bottle for a complete fuel system cleaner/UCL that will treat up to 35 gallons per 20 oz. bottle. That's not a bad deal nor was the manager's special at AutoZone a while back...2 bottles of Regane for $5. That's the time to stock up on stuff you use or sell.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Quite a biased opinion,no?

The best value FI bottle cleaner is by far Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System cleaner...It contains about 30-40% PEA detergent which is the most effective gasoline detergent you can buy because it surpasses all other detergents at cleaning and also most importantly DOES NOT leave it own residue behind.

Last edited:
Having tried PI, Techron, Red Line, Regane, and a slew of others I found Red Line to work the best, for me. Butt Dino, and lower emissions on the smog machine than last year. Granted that it could have been a fluke, a warmer day, or anything else someone would like to read into it, but the emission #'s came in a little better this year for me in a vehicle I treaded with RL cleaner. It is really hard to tell scientifically with any of these adds, but the sniffer results were better. Not much else I can go by other than what I feel when I drive, and what the sniffer said. JMO

Dunno if it's a Placebo effect as I have used FP regularly since forever, but I did a full tankful with Amsoil and it made me think I went back to MTBE fuel from the ethanol... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back