What's the dumbest thing...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumbest thing Ive ever seen is actually something I did.
Doing a full blown maintenance on my wifes car.
Oil filter tranny fluid filter fuel filter the whole shebang.
Broke the fuel filter line trying to get the filter off and had to go search for an immediate fix as she needed the car back that night.
Found a suitable filter and installed it.
Topped everything back off and started the car.
All sounded well and then I went to warm up the tranny to check the fluid. Put it in drive and no go...reverse...no go. Oh smack I said!!
What have I done?

Turns out, in my rush to get everything buttoned back up, I poured the tranny fluid through the oil dipstick. So now I had to go back and get a new filer, more oil and tranny fluid. Plus I did another oil change the next day to try and flush things back out.
Thank *** for the safety mechanism that didnt allow my tranny to engage and let me drive down the road!

This isn't about lubrication, but I'll post it here anyway.

In about 1970, my high school friends the Vermillion boys got their hands on a little Renault(Dauphine? had a water-cooled inline 4 rear engine) for a few weeks. Their older brother Joe was about to get married soon, his fiance was a pretty girl named Sharon. Sharon wanted to ride in the "new" cute little car, so Andy & Judson took her for a spin. The in-dash AM radio had problems, it lit up but wouldn't play. When she tried to tune in a station they told her that since it was a French car it would only tune in French radio stations.
grin.gif

And yes, she believed that. For *Years*!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I read about this one a few weeks back, it was so stupid when I saw it actually happen 8 or 10 years back, I pretty much wrote it off as unique to the brand and forgot about it, but I suppose it was the "wisdom" of the time in the Harley set..

So, I'm in a Hardly-Ableson dealer picking up some S-100 to clean up the Honda with, and these two doods carried about 10 quarts of oil to the counter so gently, you'da thought the bottles were made of eggshells. They paid for them and then, two-by-two, without shaking them in any way, got them out to the car. I kept my mouth shut, (stability of temperment of these types not being their major personality trait) but someone else asked them why they were doing this.

The answer was, that the additives in the oil were "garbage" and settle to the bottom half of the bottle while they sit on the shelf. When they get the oil home, they pour the "cream" of the oil (the oil that supposedly is additive-free) off the top half of the bottle and then they throw the rest away.
lol.gif
They were serious, I schnidtt you not.

Ah well, anyone that rides with their feet up in the air on highway pegs like a gal at the gynocologist, what can you expect?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back