What's the dumbest thing...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father's mechanic said not to ever use Quaker State, because, unlike the other oils, it is parrafin-based...and THAT is why QS causes sludge.

My father still goes to this fruitcake for car service.

Ah so many stories, so little time...

I hate to pick on my dad, but this was the most recent and pretty funny. He came over to visit and watched as I changed my oil and I refilled the sump with Motorcraft 5w-30.

When he saw the label he shouted "You can't put Ford oil in a GM!"

LouDawg-

if your wife is indeed like that, you definitely making it sounds like Peggy Bundy turning around bugging Al Bundy (in "Married with Children").

"....Aalll....." (as Peggy Bundy rocking her hips in high heels as Al come home from a day's worth of smelling fat ladies's feet)

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
confused.gif
confused.gif

Lots of folks here routinely go much longer than a year between the oil changes.
That's really common nowdays, especially with lots of freeway driving.

I guess I should have been more specific...the car had dino oil in it, went about 15K miles in that year and was heavily abused. Suprisingly, it had not lost much oil, but it was pitch black.

Way back when, somebody I knew told me that you should drive your car easy right after an oil change, because the new oil had to be "broken in".

The silliest gasoline question anyone ever asked me, about 30 years ago, was "why is unleaded gasoline more expensive than leaded gasoline, if they don't put lead in?"

My answer was "why is 90% lean hamburger more expensive than 80% lean hamburger, when you get twice the fat with the 80% stuff?"

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
LouDawg-

if your wife is indeed like that, you definitely making it sounds like Peggy Bundy turning around bugging Al Bundy (in "Married with Children").

"....Aalll....." (as Peggy Bundy rocking her hips in high heels as Al come home from a day's worth of smelling fat ladies's feet)

Actually, she's more like a June Cleaver...
lol.gif

Heard and watch a guy at the TLE in Wal-Mart requesting to have 2 liters short on his fresh oil change. After the TLE was done, he proceed to dump in two (2)liters of Dex ATF.....stated it will be more "slippery"...checked the dipstick, and rode off into the sunset.

Last summer at Wal-Mart TLE, a proud owner of a Dodge Cumming Diesel wanted "5W20 summer weight diesel oil, and only put 9 Liters (13L capacity)in the engine. Why?, may you ask? "The oil will expand!" Jeez!, don't you know anything!
gr_eek2.gif

Was looking for a 0W30 (may have been a 0W40, can't recall exactly)... they were out.

But was told to use straight 30-weight, as the zero "was just a placeholder"

A girl I know told me that you know when to you need to change your oil by when you start smelling burning oil. If you don't smell burning oil, you don't need to change yet!

I seem to remember one of those two geniuses on CarTalk carrying on over the course of a few years about how he refused to change his oil because it was all a scam by the oil companies. Also, for a while they would always recommend Restore as the only additive they knew of that actually worked.

Another good one, I tried to give my dad some Castrol GTX 5W20 from my stash to use at his next oil change on my mom's V-6 Accord. He told me "No thanks. That Castrol's made for 4-cylider cars."

Today at the oil change place (yes, I know, I was nervous the whole time), I was told that GM would probably void my warranty for putting 10W-30 in my 2004 Chevy P/U if I had engine problems. When I told him it was an approved fluid, he kind of gave me a shrug like 'whatever'.

k1xv

Member # 1402

posted 26 May, 2006 04:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Way back when, somebody I knew told me that you should drive your car easy right after an oil change, because the new oil had to be "broken in".

This might not be bad advice have you seen a detailed UOA at 500 miles intervales?
dunno.gif

This just happened a few months ago...

I was helping a co-worker move into a new house with the guys in the shop...As we were moveing his small sons go-cart we all were talking about how cool it was.....It looked brand new..

He said yea we had to get a new engine...The other one seized up shortly after we got it...But the new engine wouldn't start....

He says "I put gas in it" and pointed at the gas fill.....

"Put the oil in it" and pointed at the open hole on top of the engine........."Wouldn't even take the full quart that was sent with it"...

Silence fell on the crowd....

I said....."Dude, thats the carberator"!!
pat.gif

Actually, the dumbest thing was also the best thing that ever happened to me (in reference to car maintenance)...

The last time I ever took my vehicle to an oil change place was about ten years ago. I made a specific point with the service "technician" to make sure to put SIX quarts of 5W30 in my vehicle, as required by the owner's manual.

I stood out in the area where the guy was working and after he put the new oil in (with one of those guns connected to the hose at the ceiling), I asked him (the same guy I just spoke with 15 minutes earlier) how much oil he put in there and what viscocity.

He said - and I'm not joking - "Five quarts of 10W30."

I reminded him of our earlier converstation, and he said something like, "That's what ALL cars get." He then argued with me about the capcity of my sump, ensuring me that it was only five quarts. He knew, of course, because he was an "expert in oil changes." I then removed the owner's manual and showed him in black and white that he was wrong.

He begrudgingly put in the one extra quart my vehicle specified. I was too stunned at his stupidity to force the issue any further.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the LAST time I ever let someone touch my car (aside from my trusted mechanic who usually does just the big stuff for me).

Actually, another one on the engine oil forum I just read today, that said "semi-synthetics are a waste of money." I'm smiling and continuing to use my TropArtic 5W-30.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FordF150:
This just happened a few months ago...

I was helping a co-worker move into a new house with the guys in the shop...As we were moveing his small sons go-cart we all were talking about how cool it was.....It looked brand new..

He said yea we had to get a new engine...The other one seized up shortly after we got it...But the new engine wouldn't start....

He says "I put gas in it" and pointed at the gas fill.....

"Put the oil in it" and pointed at the open hole on top of the engine........."Wouldn't even take the full quart that was sent with it"...

Silence fell on the crowd....

I said....."Dude, thats the carberator"!!
pat.gif

lol.gif

I've had one guy tell me "well, its just a mower, use the cheapest oil you can get" as in dollar store nd-30.....
I've even had a guy say they are like a cars engine... if theres a little on the stick.... its OK.....
lol.gif
until I told him he barely had a quarter of a quart in it when it barely touched the stick.
May not be oil... but of course one guy tore all of the cooling shroud off his mower.... let the grass get a foot high (thick as crazy too) with dull blades.... got out to mow it and asked me "why does the spark plug blow out of the head" (he was using too hot of a plug too) I keep replacing them (at $25 a pop) and they keep blowing.... I didn't like the guy, so....
tongue.gif
I told him I don't know...

If any of your wives or girlfriends try to sell me their vehicles, I will be running for the hills and not returning for a long long time.
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back