What's the dumbest thing...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
The best friend of one of my sons had his Toyota pickup, which he'd bought new, towed to a dealer because it wouldn't run. After checking it out thay asked him when he'd last changed the oil and oil filter. He said he had never changed them. They asked him why and he replied that he didn't have time. The truck had 70 something thousand miles on it. The engine was shot.

OMG!
lol.gif

"don't put synthetic oil in your harley, coz it'll cause the roller bearings on the crank to skid and skate, not enough friction you know. then there will be flat spots on the crank "

A friend of mine went a year without getting the oil changed in her Focus. I gave her a coupon for a free oil change (at a reputable local shop).

Also, I was told by an Advance Auto employee that it was impossible for my truck to have rear ABS.

confused.gif
confused.gif

Lots of folks here routinely go much longer than a year between the oil changes.
That's really common nowdays, especially with lots of freeway driving.

A guy I went to high school with said his girlfriend expressed interest in helping him do an oil change on his Chevelle SS. One of the perks of working in a service department is that he had full access to the shop if he wanted to work on his car after hours.
He guided her through the process, got it drained, filter changed and everything buttoned back up....and entrusted her to re-fill the car with oil. He came back a few minutes later and she had refilled it....all the way to the tops of the valve covers.

"Using 5-20 is like putting valve grinding compound in your crankcase."
This is from an oil 'expert' website that I was directed to from here [to show fallacies].

Just remembered...a few months ago I convinced my wife to walk with me through the auto section of Wally World. We came upon the row with all the tire-stuff, including "Fix-a-Flat". She said she had seen that before and thought it was really amazing that you could (and I'm not making this up...drum-roll please): "Just spray that stuff on the outside of the tire and make the flat tire air right back up!"

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
When I asked my ex wife when she changed the oil last after we first met..."Oil??? I just put gas in it." Should have known at that time not to marry her. Current wife already knew how to change her own oil, that it is a waste of money to put high octane in a "regular" octane tuned car, knew how to cook, was working her way through college at a bar....I knew it was love for me.....

Good work! My wife is getting better all the time...she insisted that I wait to rotate the tires on the vehicle she normally drives so that I could teach her how to change a tire safely!

A friend of mine at work has an old Ford Aerostar. He was refilling the wiper fluid tank for the rear wiper (you have to open the rear hatch and the reservoir is next to the turn signal/ brake light assembly). His wife asked him what he was doing and he said he was adding blinker fluid
lol.gif

On a Mercedes web site one guy said not to use anything but Mercedes grease for the wheel bearings because "Other greases can be too slippery, causing the inner race to turn on the spindle and cause damage."

Somewhat OT

The funniest thing ..maybe not funny ..but amazing was a Vietnamese immigrant in the autoshop. I wasn't in the class at the time but this spread like wild fire.

He comes into class and asks, (with heavy Asian accent, exchanging "L" for "R" ..etc), Mr. Miller ..Mr. Miller! What does O-I-L mean
confused.gif
Red light on dash.. been on two day (with hand jestures to show "2")." The class push the car in and drained the oil (all of two plops) and refilled it (new filter too). No apparent harm ..at least no new harm done to it. It had already smoked and made plenty of noises with a full sump
dunno.gif

quote:

"Using 5-20 is like putting valve grinding compound in your crankcase."
This is from an oil 'expert' website that I was directed to from here [to show fallacies].

I think the term used was "lapping paste" ..but maybe that was the guy who thought synthetic was a bad idea
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Good work! My wife is getting better all the time...she insisted that I wait to rotate the tires on the vehicle she normally drives so that I could teach her how to change a tire safely!

My wife would eat her own foot before she would change a tire. Seriously, she would sit in her car and rot before even attempting to do it, because she might break a nail or get her hands dirty.
twak.gif

quote:

What's the dumbest thing anyone has said to you about motor oil and/or auto lubrication in general?

Two recent events come to mind:
  • Local Ford stealer service department refusal to service my transmission with Mobil 1 ATF
  • GM stealer service writer attempt to convince me Mercon ATF complied with Mercon V spec
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

That's the beauty of the internet...anyone with an ISP and minimal skills can appear to be an expert.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
That's the beauty of the internet...anyone with an ISP and minimal skills can appear to be an expert.

It is pitiful out there on the general Q&A sites. I spend a lot of time answering questions on dogs where my 15 years volunteering for the dog guide school actually leaves me knowing something. Any site with a rating system is full of know nothing nut cases cheating to have high ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back