What's the deal with drivers who tow livestock trailers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any hauling that can be done with a dually pickup has become a race to the bottom.
absolutely, but it still paid my bills. once you overcome the fear of getting caught riding dirty at a weigh station and just drive right by it’s not half bad

Last edited:
If a guy is paid let's say $.50 per mile and he drives 10 hrs per day. A 55 mph truck will pay him $275.

A 70 mph truck pays him $350 in the same amount of time.
Aren't most deliveries just going from point A to point B ?

How many were women pulling horse trailers?

I have not noticed those to be as bad on the highway. Mostly seems like the men drivers act like they own the road. However, the women drivers seem to not know what speed they want to maintain. One time I played the "200 mile shuffle" with one that kept wanting to go fast and then slow around me with my cruise set at 80. Got tired of constantly having to pass them for no reason but their own indecisiveness.

There is no license plate on them?

If there is, it's covered in dirt or soot and can't be seen. Reporting a license plate to the police is not the same as reporting a USDOT number to the FMCSA.

Trying to out run the smell.

Yup I have seen this as well. Those big livestock trailers smell terrible to drive behind and if they seem to be leaking liquid.. yeah that's horse or cow pee.

See them every day around here, Agriculture and Dairy farms are king. ;)
livestock-scaled.jpg

Some do. Mostly the companies that hire guys right out of truck driving schools.Some don't. Our trucks are not speed limited. Owner ops are not speed limited.

Boss says faster trucks make more runs which = more profit and less payroll.
Years ago when I was an owner operator in the open states we would cruise at 80 mph . It saves time when running coast to coast , besides it was fun.

Last edited:
They're either farmers, who are in my experience the most entitled citizens of this fine country, or contractors.
Sadly in many cases you are correct. I hate to admit it since I grew up on a cattle farm but working in a service department the amount of times I've taken an ass chewing about trying to take advantage of a "poor farmer" due to the high cost of a repair on a just out of warranty diesel truck only to watch them walk out of the sales managers office and hop into a brand new King Ranch or Platinum diesel dually is astounding.

That would work on local runs like the cement truck drivers going 20 miles from the cement plant to the job site. The more runs them make a day the more money they make. But those are long haul drivers I think, like 500+ mile drives. It's not like you will get a second run that day.

The faster you drive, the less time it takes to get to your next destination - which in turn allows you get to back on the road. IE: My friend has a Chicago-Kansas run with his company where a 70-72mph truck can put him a couple hours ahead of schedule compared to their 62-65mph trucks.. That allows him to 1.) get to his mid-point destination a couple hours faster, 2.) get home a couple hours faster, 3.) make up for time loss for gassing, rest stops, emergencies, etc.

Sadly in many cases you are correct. I hate to admit it since I grew up on a cattle farm but working in a service department the amount of times I've taken an ass chewing about trying to take advantage of a "poor farmer" due to the high cost of a repair on a just out of warranty diesel truck only to watch them walk out of the sales managers office and hop into a brand new King Ranch or Platinum diesel dually is astounding.
We like to eat though.

My friend has a Chicago-Kansas run with his company where a 70-72mph truck can put him a couple hours ahead of schedule compared to their 62-65mph trucks
I think your friend's time estimations are bit exaggerated. Chicago to KC is about 500 miles and on a one-way trip, he might gain 30-40 minutes.

I think your friend's time estimations are bit exaggerated. Chicago to KC is about 500 miles and on a one-way trip, he might gain 30-40 minutes.

I think so. It's about an hour difference between 10 mph but I think he's also factoring in one stop and a drop and hook with another driver.

That makes drivers slow down. Stretch out a trip longer to get more pay.
How does that work? I thought commercial drivers were limited in how many hours they can drive until they take a break.

I think so. It's about an hour difference between 10 mph but I think he's also factoring in one stop and a drop and hook with another driver.
Obviously it adds up the farther you go but if I drive from home to my parents or to Columbus OH (80 miles), there's really no advantage between driving 65 mph and 75-80 mph. You only gain ~10 minutes. Well, the one advantage is that at 65 mph I get ~5 mpg better fuel economy.

I thought commercial drivers were limited in how many hours they can drive until they take a break.
They are - there's an 8-hour rule and a 12-hour rule but I don't know the specifics. In the end, it doesn't matter. If the delivery/route is 360 miles round-trip (using easy numbers for the math), at 60 mph, it will take 6+ hours driving time. Have to pad that 6 hours with slower speeds unless your origin and destination are right next to the highway. Add in time for loading or unloading. Add in time to eat. I suspect if you did this in 7-8 hours, your boss will be happy. If you take 9-10 hours - 'cause you're paid by the hour - that won't fly for long.

How does that work? I thought commercial drivers were limited in how many hours they can drive until they take a break.
If you're driving 500 miles would you rather go 60 mph and get paid for 8.3 hours or go 75 mph and get paid for 6.6 hours? Well within the 12, or is it 14 hours max, you are allowed to drive per day, even if you add in 2 hours for breaks.

They are - there's an 8-hour rule and a 12-hour rule but I don't know the specifics. In the end, it doesn't matter. If the delivery/route is 360 miles round-trip (using easy numbers for the math), at 60 mph, it will take 6+ hours driving time. Have to pad that 6 hours with slower speeds unless your origin and destination are right next to the highway. Add in time for loading or unloading. Add in time to eat. I suspect if you did this in 7-8 hours, your boss will be happy. If you take 9-10 hours - 'cause you're paid by the hour - that won't fly for long.
Right. There is an over-arching time limit that the drive has to be accomplished within, and there may be traffic, or other duties which may (or may not) count against that time.

If you're driving 500 miles would you rather go 60 mph and get paid for 8.3 hours or go 75 mph and get paid for 6.6 hours? Well within the 12, or is it 14 hours max, you are allowed to drive per day, even if you add in 2 hours for breaks.
Depends on the job. Short haul, that may make sense. Long haul, I might rather get as many miles in before end of allowable driving time, that would make the trip go faster. If I was being paid by the hour, I might still want to drive faster, take too long and the boss might prefer one of the other drivers who turns around faster and thus gets more work done--for the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back