What's the deal with drivers who tow livestock trailers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a lot more interstate driving over the past year and I swear I've come across a stereotype that rings true every time.

White dually HD truck (Ram 2500/3500, F350, etc) + Livestock trailer = Absolutely terrible driver

On MULTIPLE occasions I have witnessed this particular combo of vehicle on the highway doing all of the following at the same time:
  • Hogged the passing lane. Would not budge and move to the right. Almost as if they are entitled to the left lane.
  • Drove the trailer into the left shoulder, kicking up dust and gravel onto every vehicle behind it
  • Dropped poo/urine from the livestock trailer, causing cars behind it to become filthy
  • Been completely oblivious that any of this is happening
And just today, I saw one guy do all of the above, and then he drove so far left that his trailer's fender hit the metal crumple barrier on a bridge and got dented. He just kept driving.

Maybe this is only a problem in my region of the country since this is where the cattle markets are? Are we in THAT much of a rush to get steaks and burgers?

What an absolute nuisance. Sadly there's no way to report these drivers since they don't seem to be operating in a commercial capacity (with USDOT license numbers that can be referenced).

They're either farmers, who are in my experience the most entitled citizens of this fine country, or contractors.

If contractors the case is even worse because they're probably just barely covering their costs. Any hauling that can be done with a dually pickup has become a race to the bottom.

I'm guessing contractors, given they're driving white trucks. Not their trailer, not their problem.

I'm guessing contractors, given they're driving white trucks. Not their trailer, not their problem.
This would be my guess. Same with a lot of truck drivers these days. Companies hire the cheapest "steering wheel holders" they can find. You can tell the difference between the real truckers and the wheel holders almost immediately.

They're either farmers, who are in my experience the most entitled citizens of this fine country, or contractors.

If contractors the case is even worse because they're probably just barely covering their costs. Any hauling that can be done with a dually pickup has become a race to the bottom.

Man I pay money for you to say that in person to a few Farmers I know.

Don't the trucking companies put speed limiters on their trucks to save fuel? Like 75 or 80? At 90 they can't be getting more than 4 or 5 mpg.
Some do. Mostly the companies that hire guys right out of truck driving schools.Some don't. Our trucks are not speed limited. Owner ops are not speed limited.

Boss says faster trucks make more runs which = more profit and less payroll.

I know plenty of women that could drive circles around you in a horse trailer.
It's a mixed bag. I've seen some that drive and even back very well, and others that have no business pulling a trailer.
I've seen my share of guys with travel trailers who lack the skill to be pulling them. But the topic of livestock trailers was here, I see more women pulling horses.

Man I pay money to say that in person to a few Farmers I know.
They work hard for sure, but if it weren't for subsidies, access to incredible sums of low interest capital, loan forgiveness and government assistance programs for the farming industry in general most of these "small" farmers couldn't put food on their own table, yet they'll shout loudly and proudly that anyone not working "for themselves" or anyone on unemployment/welfare/any other government assistant program is lazy and stupid.

I've worked with and around farmers all my life. They're fun to joke around with but they're not a bunch I'd claim association with. My wife and I lease 280 acres of our property to the farmer we dislike the least.

In horse country here.
I have been amazed at some young girls who haul horses as their hobby.
Real pros and many not much over 20 years old.
Same. They're driving big money aluminum horse trailers behind big money trucks too. A lot of them have been doing it since they were little kids. It's not an issue of gender, just of experience.

I always see signs on the backs of trucks saying, work for us and get xx cents per mile. What difference does it make how fast you go if you get paid by the mile?
More miles per day = more pay. Our guys are paid hourly.

If a guy is paid let's say $.50 per mile and he drives 10 hrs per day. A 55 mph truck will pay him $275.

A 70 mph truck pays him $350 in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
More miles per day = more pay.
That would work on local runs like the cement truck drivers going 20 miles from the cement plant to the job site. The more runs them make a day the more money they make. But those are long haul drivers I think, like 500+ mile drives. It's not like you will get a second run that day.
Our guys are paid hourly.
That makes drivers slow down. Stretch out a trip longer to get more pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back