MOBIL:

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40
http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_0W-40.aspx

CASTROL:

Magnatec 5w-40 C3
http://www.frontier.ro/files/pdf/MAgnatec c3 5w40.pdf

Edge sport 0w-40
http://www.bp.com/assets/bp_internet/cas...t0W40_TDS_E.pdf
(Note, this one seems stanglely ellusive. I think i have seen it in my local motor factors, buts not easy found on the internet?)

Edge 5w-40 fst
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/castrol/castrol-edge-5w-40-fst.pdf

Edge 5w-40 Turbo Diesel
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/castrol/EDGE Range/Castrol-Edge-5W-40-TD-FST.pdf

NORTH SEA LUBRICANTS:

Wave Power Le 5w-40
http://www.northsealubricants.com/media/...ER_LE_5W-40.pdf

Magnatec is cheapest, €40/5L
Then NSL €48/5L
Then Edge €58/5L

Is there a idiots guide to choosing oil? I asked about the oils up above in the Oil forum and got no reply because "nobody has heard of them" yet, really, that shouldn't matter should it?
So i wan't to know what to do here.

how do i correctly chose a short list of oil and how to i pick out the best for my car using something more that "i like the can" or "I've used this stuff with no issues for the last millenium"

Originally Posted By: BertieBlue

Is there a idiots guide to choosing oil?

Yes, it's called owner's manual
wink.gif

Heh, Thats my point (i think)

My manual says LL04 0/5w-30/40

So i have a choice of viscosity. I want something a little stouter to quieten down my chain clatter so i want a 40 oil.
I don't live in alaska so a 5w will do, although i shouldn't discount a relative 0w grade

So i went shopping and found the above available 6 oils.

Now what?

Lets ignore price. I want to chose this on technics, not economics

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Get a 0W40 then...what kind of car are we talking about?

BMW 2.0 Diesel

Hang on, if i don't need a 0w grade, is there merit in the argument that the oil composition is compromised to get the 0w viscosity, where as the 5w grade doesn't need such compromises and is thus "better" somehow?

Shell Helix Ultra in 5w40 is a great oil but tends to make the engine a little louder. If I were you I would give Motul Xclean a try as I filled the Doblo Mjet with it last time and it seems to be a bit quieter.

Hang on, if i don't need a 0w grade, is there merit in the argument that the oil composition is compromised to get the 0w viscosity, where as the 5w grade doesn't need such compromises and is thus "better" somehow?

I don't think that's necessarily the case any longer. M1 0w-40 and the Castrol 0w-40 seem to get some pretty rave reviews. Notably, people do seem to be happier with the Castrol 0w-40 than the 5w-40, for instance.

If they meet the same specifications, the 0w-40 would usually be the preferred choice.

The correct way to choose oil is to follow the guidance spelled out in the OM. If the owner decides to deviate from that guidance, the decision on what to use is usually based on emotion, what daddy used, or in our case, what the flavor of the month is on BITOG.

I assemble my list based on the owners manual recommendations for viscosity and any special designations or specs. then I download the mfr specs and compare noack volatility, pour point, and other available information from the mfr. then I check an independent tester like pqiaa to see if they have tested the oil and published specs. from there its on to this site to check VOA's and UOA's. then, and only then, do I consider subjective comments from people.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I assemble my list based on the owners manual recommendations for viscosity and any special designations or specs. then I download the mfr specs and compare noack volatility, pour point, and other available information from the mfr. then I check an independent tester like pqiaa to see if they have tested the oil and published specs. from there its on to this site to check VOA's and UOA's. then, and only then, do I consider subjective comments from people.

This is more like it.

I've done the first bit.
I've done some of the second bit, now to figure out what those values mean!

Shell Helix 5w40....there you are done. Tell them Doog sent you. That is all you need to know because once you say that...they will stop talking...and look at the floor as they put your oil on the counter.

You will have to go for the Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W30 diesel if you want to stick with the recommended LL-04 standard.

This is more like it.

I've done the first bit.

But that is not an "idiot's guide", as it requires an understanding of those numbers and their value/weight as dictated by your vehicle and usage.

An idiot's guide to motor oil selection is reading the owners manual to determine the vehicle mfg's recommended viscosities and certs (LL-04, dexos1, VW5046282047392037373943002, etc.), visiting your favorite auto parts store or website, and then choosing based on whatever objective or subjective features tickle your fancy, such as price, label color, or flashy marketing.

tomcat27's process is useful in deciding what may be the best oil for your vehicle and application, but is a far cry from an idiot's guide.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

This is more like it.

I've done the first bit.

But that is not an "idiot's guide", as it requires an understanding of those numbers and their value/weight as dictated by your vehicle and usage.

An idiot's guide to motor oil selection is reading the owners manual to determine the vehicle mfg's recommended viscosities and certs (LL-04, dexos1, VW5046282047392037373943002, etc.), visiting your favorite auto parts store or website, and then choosing based on whatever objective or subjective features tickle your fancy, such as price, label color, or flashy marketing.

tomcat27's process is useful in deciding what may be the best oil for your vehicle and application, but is a far cry from an idiot's guide.

fair enough. how about simply choosing a Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge product that fits the viscosity range for your application.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

This is more like it.

I've done the first bit.

fair enough. how about simply choosing a Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge product that fits the viscosity range for your application.

And that final determination depends on whether you prefer the sleek and timeless silver bottle or chunky and aggressive black.
laugh.gif

I asked about the oils up above in the Oil forum and got no reply because "nobody has heard of them" yet, really, that shouldn't matter should it?

And it doesn't. As I said in the other thread, pick any LL-04 compliant oil, and that's that. End of idiot's guide.

You could spend countless hours trying to chase after individual oil specs, trying to understand what they mean, and then play a guessing game whether any of them are really significant to your engine's well being. But my point is that your engine manufacturer already went through all this trouble by devising the LL-04 spec which takes care of all the above. Who would you rather trust: your engine manufacturer or some unknown persons on an internet forum? It is my opinion that any of those LL-04 oils will serve your engine just as well and your engine will never be able to tell the difference between them, so why worry? Just pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back