What's the best ow-20 oil for Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
By the way, if you ask, sometimes they will give you a break on the price but lately they don't want to discount "fluids". It is worth asking. They also always give me a break on the Toyota filters/drain plug gaskets if I buy three at once.

It is worth asking IN PERSON. Over the phone dealers seem to be obligated to give you the MSRP.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
It is worth asking IN PERSON. Over the phone dealers seem to be obligated to give you the MSRP.

Agreed. I should have mentioned that. I've been going to the same dealer for over a decade and they always take care of me on pricing. I know all their names and they always appreciate a greeting by name when I come in. Plus I always give them kudos on those Toyota reviews that I get once in a while.

If it's a concern, you may not be restricted to just 0w20. If your owners manual states to the effect, engine oil used outside of the recommendation may void your warranty, then you must follow. Yours doesn't. Below is a screenshot of a Toyota Corolla 2015 OM.

I think any 0w20 will work great. Ive had no issues with any oil Ive run but therer were a couple that ran quieter. M1 AFE 0w20 and Pennz Ultra 0w40 ran the quietest..thus id use ultra 0w20 or m1 AFE. Although any would work great.

Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
Hi: I had to make the same decision with my 2015 Corolla. I was thinking about Mobil 1 0W-20 and talked to the parts fellow about it. He said Mobil makes the TGMO and pulled out the MSDS forms. As I recall, there was a difference in the composition but I can't remember the specifics. Based on that, I went ahead and decided to just keep using the TGMO. By the way, if you ask, sometimes they will give you a break on the price but lately they don't want to discount "fluids". It is worth asking. They also always give me a break on the Toyota filters/drain plug gaskets if I buy three at once.

The big difference is that Mobil1 AFE contains 30-40% (iirc) PAO as a base stock. TGMO contains none. So I'd vote for Mobil1.

I don't think toyota engines are that picky.
castrol edge or magnetec, as well as Mobil1 AFE all seem to be great quality.
You really can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back